HAL Alaskan Cruise using Disney Vacation Club Points

LisaC0503

Yes the upgraded cabin was a nice. Lots of room, and even a little extra because it was an HC stateroom. The bathroom was big enough to easily maneuver around in a wheel chair and had a roll-in shower. The balcony was larger too. It was one of those "crooked balconies" where the side of the ship juts out so we were able to look forward as well as to the side. We did most of our glacier viewing from there.

As a "Superior" suite rather than a "Deluxe" suite we didn't get many of the other perks. No access to the concierge lounge, early boarding, snacks, etc. I guess there was access to a telephone concierge but we never knew about it until on the last day we got the satisfaction survey that asked if we had used the service and our opinions of it. While I was packing to come home I did find a little note about it buried among all the fliers for gold by the inch, spa specials, shore shopping coupons, and art auction invitations that they seemed to deliver to the cabin in a constant stream. I suggested on the survey that a phone call from the concierges on embarkation day introducing themselves would have been nice.

I travel quite a bit for business and eat out a lot, and while not a foodie, I do appreciate good food. With the exception of Palo, nothing I've eaten on a cruise ship compares to the top restaurants I've been to. But it's not fair to compare McDonalds to Mortons, but I like both. The food on DCL (again, with the exception of Palo) was all good but unambitious. This seems to be what their customers want. If you read back through some of the posts from the early days of DCL disboards you'll see many complaints of the food being too "fancy". On the Zuiderdam the food was on the whole more sophisticated. As a result some of the dishes were outstanding and others I found mediocre. I'd rather put up with a few thorns among the roses than just have a consistent diet of daisies. The one complaint I would have is the overabundance of salmon on the menu. I do like salmon, and this was Alaska after all, but it was on the menu at every meal and almost no other fish was ever offered. I had to limit myself to eating it only twice a day.

Though we ate better on HAL we had more fun at dinner on DCL. Disney really understands the concept on "show". Part of the difference on our Alaska cruise may be because we dined alone each night since our table mates never showed up. Our waiter said they were there the first night, (we had gone to the Pinnacle Grill), but they never reappeared for the rest of the week.

As for the excursions, we did the Taku Glacier Lodge flightseeing and salmon bake in Juneau and the White Pass RR in Skagway. We were very lucky as the weather was spectacular for most of the trip -- around 70 degrees and sunny for our days in Juneau, Skagway and Glacier Bay. The Alaska board on this site is a good source for info on the various excursions. I would also suggest you plan to spend at least a day in Vancouver. We flew in on Thursday night and spent Friday sightseeing there. It is a wonderful city to visit.

Len.

My DH and I were thinking about purchasing either Hilton Grand Vacations Club (then get RCI points) or Marriot. However, I hadn't heard about Disney. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction to figure out prices and club perks?

Hi !

DVC members here - since 1991:p

We have used points to cruise on the Magic and the Wonder - with and without our grandchildren.....we love Disney and their ships!

We booked the Zaadam Alaska Cruise August of 2005 (first time) for the June 30, 2006 Cruise with our 'kids' for their 25th Anniv. We had to cancel, :( but they went on without us!

We booked using Dis Points - Cat. C cabin - Upgraded to a Cat. BC Veranda Suite at check-in. :D

We have just had an excited tele. call from the Zaadam Dining Room .....

So far so good!

Booking through Dis Vacation Club was easy enough - I picked the cabin - I took what was offered and did not spend any extra $$.........be aware that the Reps. at DVC are not cruise savvy agents - they are just order takers - do your homework and know what you are getting. Request your DR confirmation, and Cabin confirmation. Call HAL to confirm and add any special notes to your reservations.

You probably can spend less equivalent $$ NOT using DVC points if you figure the points @ $10 per point value, and figure in the yearly DVC maintenance Each has to decide where and how to best 'spend' their points, we had points left over so it was no extra $$ outlay for us. I agree it's too much of a hassle to try to 'rent them out'.

I am very happy that my 'kids' got an upgrade to a Veranda Suite. I have no idea how often this happens with HAL as we are Princess Cruisers and have never sailed with HAL. I did note on the reservation that it was a 25th Anniversary celebration....maybe that helped?? I don't think it had anything to do with DVC agents.

We chose the Zaadam because it was rt. Seattle and less plane fare and hassle from the East Coast.

I think DVC is the best of any 'TimeShare' - not only does it 'hold' it's value, but goes up and up in value! Members since 1991 DVC doesn't 'owe' us anything - we have used it to the max for ourselves (alone) and with our children and 7 grandchildren.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with DVC. Sorry you could not make it but that is wonderful your kids got to enjoy an upgrade!!!!

Booking through Dis Vacation Club was easy enough - I picked the cabin - I took what was offered and did not spend any extra $$.........be aware that the Reps. at DVC are not cruise savvy agents - they are just order takers - do your homework and know what you are getting. Request your DR confirmation, and Cabin confirmation. Call HAL to confirm and add any special notes to your reservations.

This is great advice and why I love the CC boards. I am getting educated BEFORE I book. We were not educated when we booked our Disney Cruise and ended up in a 'noisy' cabin right above where the ship dumps it trash in ports...not to mention the engine noise. I called MS expecting to get some informations about cabin catagories ect... and just booked a room based on their recomendations. Never again. Now I will know what I am getting before comitting to it! ;)

• 4 months later...

I received a call from MS to let me know we can finally book for 2007. I was only able to get a veranda upgrade on the Zuiderdam for my dates; there were some S ships available (for the Vancouver RT w/Glacier Bay), but no Rrrrrrryndam. I'm just happy to be booked - AND I can find my name and cabin # on the HAL website. I think I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Archived