Norovirus more likely on Disney Ships?

bocacruiser

Hi,

DCL is no different than othe rlines. With all those people in close quarters germs do spread easily. they have hand washing (sanitizing) stations at the entrances ot all the restaurants, on and off the ship areas, kids clubs etc.. You are told to use them, that does help prevent some germs.

I have never heard of any BIG break out on DCL, but I have on other ships. I have cruised 11 times on DCL and never had more than a cold.

Personally I think it is just the luck of the draw!! germs just spread in closed areas with all those people so if soemone is carrying something it will get passed around!! It doesnt matter which line you are on. Just wash often and dont handle railing and such unles syou can wash afterwards. the washing stations are everywhere and i carry a small can of sanitizer in my pocket an din my room which we use all the time.

mom x4,grandma x4

I can not recall hearing anything specific happening on a Disney ship but have been on several ships in the last few years where it has happened. I agree with "Mom" about it being a luck of the draw except if it would happen on a ship on a sailing right before mine.

In that case I would take extra precautions like washing my hand for 20-30 seconds and not grabbing the outside door of a public restroom with my bear hands when exiting. This is the same thing I have done when on prior cruises where we had an outbreak.

With all the kids, does anyone know if Disney ships have had more norovirus than other cruise lines? I'm not germ o phobic, it's just a question.

Apparently it's less likely on the DCL. Here's the CDC summary of all cruise ships that had reportable outbreaks for the last twelve years.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm

You have to scroll down to 11/2002 to find the Disney Magic. She had an outbreak on two consecutive cruises. DCL took her out of service for a week for a thorough cleaning and to break the infection cycle. She didn't have another reportable outbreak. The Disney Wonder has never had a reportable outbreak. FYI a reportable outbreak is when more than 3% of the crew and passengers report illness. On the Disney ships that would be about 120 people out of 4000.

We cruised a different ship last spring break with what appeared to be hundreds of college students on break, and we had a huge outbreak that made the national news! Don't know how it started, but I think a lot of really drunk people who didn't wash their hands properly added to the problem.

I think Disney did a great job in trying to prevent viruses during our Magic cruise last September.

There was always someone there with wipes at the restaurants or the hand sanitizing dispenser was there. Also, every time our kids entered the kids club they had to wash their hands.

It's not just the passengers, the cruise line can do a lot to prevent outbreaks. After the Magic went down for a week, DCL changed a lot of things to prevent another outbreak. They put more staff at the buffets to reduce the amount of handling of food and utensils that the passengers do. They also stepped-up the cleaning procedures increasing the amount of cleaning that they do of railings, doorknobs and other things that passengers touch. It seems to have worked.

I think Disney did a great job in trying to prevent viruses during our Magic cruise last September.

There was always someone there with wipes at the restaurants or the hand sanitizing dispenser was there. Also, every time our kids entered the kids club they had to wash their hands.

Yep, our son had to wash as soon as entered the kids club. Not only do they have the wipes next to any food station but servers pass them out to each person as they enter any dining room including the buffet to encourage the use of them.

They are a erm-o-phobs dream cruiseline I would imagine. All the sani-wipes you could ever want. :D

I feel the Disney Magic staff watches the passengers for illness more closely than on our cruises I've been on, especially the first day. I happened to go back to the stateroom twice during dinner the first night and the steward was on my heels both times inquiring whether I was feeling all right.

I've only gotten it once, coming off the Disney Wonder.

I thought I was being nice contacting Disney after I got home, suggesting they possibly pay a little extra attention to my cabin. They responded with a form letter telling me everything I already new about it.

I shouldn't have tried to be nice.

Archived