Bingo will be starting in 30, 29, 28....

a1moty

We have cruised HAL before (2 years ago) and really enjoyed ourselves, except for one thing--those blasted BINGO announcements!

I really didn't realize how annoying it was until we cruised another line and

was able to enjoy an afternoon catnap with out being awaken 6 tiimes in an hour.

Is there any chance HAL has ceased with the constant announcements?:p

This varies from ship to ship, IME. Although we've only been on four HAL cruises, I've seen many differences amongst the ship and crew. Unfortunately, our Hawaii cruise was interrupted several times a day not only by Bingo announcements, but they were accompanied by the Money Money Money song, even while we were in the Wajang Theater enjoying a talk by the captain himself!

The others have been much more subtle in their announcements and we appreciate it that way (and yes, we did note this on our comment cards).

BTW, there is a setting in your cabin to turn the channel to music, music with announements, no announcements, etc. Check that out for naptimes. :)

BTW, there is a setting in your cabin to turn the channel to music, music with announements, no announcements, etc. Check that out for naptimes. :)

WOW! Great piece of information---thanks so much.

HAL has a good itinerary, a good price, good service and a great intercom

system! :D

It does vary from ship to ship for reasons that do not make sense. I have been on a few HAL cruises that made Carnival seem serene as it relates to announcements and I have been on cruises where I did not even know BINGO was going on.

I always figured the CD got a bonus for selling X # Bingo cards.

That's a scary thought!

I think it does have a lot to do with who the CD is, though. I'd like to make a plug for Doug Dunnell (sp?), who was the CD on the Maasdam when we sailed last December. He was the best we've had so far, not so much for what he DID do as what he DIDN'T do! Very low-key yet informative and a great atmosphere resulted.

On our first cruise, the bingo announcements seemed to come almost hourly, but on our second, there were almost none. I commented to the ACD who ran the bingo games that I'd noticed the difference, and she told me that the Captain limited the number of overhead announcements to three on sea days. Her tone suggested to me that she disagreed with his policy, and I wondered then if she earned a commission based on the number of participants...:rolleyes:

just back from the statendam in alaska and doug donell is the cruise director and he does keep everything low key

basically 1 announcment per day about what is happening

although it was played daily on that ship bingo was very poorly attended but that didnt change the announcement sequence

great cruise = great experience

That's a scary thought!

I think it does have a lot to do with who the CD is, though. I'd like to make a plug for Doug Dunnell (sp?), who was the CD on the Maasdam when we sailed last December. He was the best we've had so far, not so much for what he DID do as what he DIDN'T do! Very low-key yet informative and a great atmosphere resulted.

I was an ACD for your cruise... The cruise director does get a commission on bingo, as well as the ACDs. Its only fare though as bingo is actually a lot of work to put on. Its one of the big money makers for the ship as a whole, thats why there are a lot of announcements. Also there is a lot of pressure from seattle on the crew to make a certain amount; so dont put all the blame on the CD and ACD's.

despite that pressure, around Dec. an order came from seattle dictating very strict rules about when and what announcements were made. Which is probubly why you noticed the diffrance.

I have not been on a ship since Jan, so im wondering myself if the rules stuck.

Archived