Advice in Denali?

moorparkfamily

We're going on a Princess cruisetour at the end of July. Our package includes the (shorter, i.e. 5 hour) Natural History Tour, in Denali National Park. Here's the problem / question. Our 10-year old son is super-hyperactive. We're concerned whether he'll be able to sit still on such a long bus tour.

We've done city tours on shore excursions other places, and been okay, but in most cases, you get off the bus every once in a while, walk around, see things, etc.

So, the question is, particularly for those of you who have taken kids on this tour, do you think we'll be okay, or should we book an alternative activity in Denali (and if so, what do you suggest?)

Thanks--Allen

I haven't been on the bus trip yet (going in about a month) but had been thinking about this very issue in regard to my own kids!! Does your son have a gameboy or a pda that has games, maybe an iPod? How about giving him his own camera to take photos? Doing a journal of all the wildlife and the mile marker where you see it, maybe a sketchbook? Puzzle books (my dd likes word searches, so I've stashed away a few new books)? Hope others will have some good ideas!

Libby

• 2 weeks later...

I lived 20 miles north of Denali for a year and drove the road the bus takes several times. His interest level will probably be related to how lucky you are seeing wildlife. I've driven it a couple times where all sorts of animals were abundant and a couple times where it was "oh, another bou" (Caribou) and little else.

I think having some activities for him is a good fall back plan. How about homemade Wildlife Bingo cards?

We're going on a Princess cruisetour at the end of July. Our package includes the (shorter, i.e. 5 hour) Natural History Tour, in Denali National Park. Here's the problem / question. Our 10-year old son is super-hyperactive. We're concerned whether he'll be able to sit still on such a long bus tour.

We've done city tours on shore excursions other places, and been okay, but in most cases, you get off the bus every once in a while, walk around, see things, etc.

So, the question is, particularly for those of you who have taken kids on this tour, do you think we'll be okay, or should we book an alternative activity in Denali (and if so, what do you suggest?)

Thanks--Allen

Allen:

Funny I should happen into this forum, as I don't currently have a trip to Alaska planned, BUT I have done the cruise tour with Princess that you're going on. We opted OUT of the Denali bus tour (we had a 2 & 3 yr old with us, plus grandparents). If your tour plans are like ours, the group going on the bus tour went straight onto the bus as soon as we arrived, before they even went to their rooms I think. The buses are old (read: uncomfortable) school buses. We knew we just didn't want to get on a five hour bus ride after being on the train for four hours already. Princess happily accomodated our request and gave each of us credit for whatever the cost of the tour is. My sister, b-i-l, and I opted to take a horseback riding tour, which was totally awesome. So much fun. We saw plenty of wildlife. It's not in Denali; I remember we were picked up by van and taken to the "ranch" or stables. It definitely beat five hours on a bus. I don't know what happened to the credit for the rest of the group - I don't know if it "followed" them or if credit cards were refunded. I think maybe they just got refunded on their credit cards, since they didn't do any alternate tours. Your ten year old would probably love the horses!

Thanks for all your suggestions. Thanks to you folks, and a few others we've talked to, we've opted out of the Denali bus tour. It took a little doing, but Princess gave us a credit, which we applied to the Jet Boat Safari. Probably a bit more fun for him! I think we'll do the horseback ride in McKinley / Talkeetna.

Allen

Archived