Selecting a Beach

Hi - I have been reading the messages over the past couple of days and was hoping someone could help me with choosing what beach to go to. We are looking at Pinel Island, Divi Bay and Orient Beach. We are coming to the island on the Carnival Glory and some in our group have an early excursion planned. 3 of us will be on our own. We thought we would find something to do in the morning, meet up at the ship with the others for lunch and then head to a beach - or - the 3 of us would head to the beach in the morning and the rest of the group could meet up with us after their excursion. Any advise or suggestions for me? I have also read a little about Anguilla - has anyone been there?

Thank you all so, so much.:)

If I were on the island, I wouldn't go back to the ship for lunch, because of the time factor, unless I had been shopping in the morning. Personally, I would do my shopping on my way back to the ship towards the end of the day in port.

I guess that I would have the other 3 meet me at the beach. I have found that cruises go best when people aren't waiting for others to be able to do what they want. We always make it plain that we aren't attached at the hip, and if we want to do the same things, fine, if we want to do something different, fine.

Pinel Island and Orient Beach are clear on the opposite side of the island from Phillipsburg. If you want to go there, you probably had better head out for there in the morning.

Just my thoughts.

First off, let's get Anguilla out of the way. It's a nice, friendly island, with some great beaches, but unless you've been to St. Maarten enough times to enjoy all that she has to offer, I can't recommend traveling to ANY other island during your one-day cruise visit.

Next, what do YOU want to do that day? Sounds like a choice of spending an afternoon or a whole day on the beach. You need to make that choice. If you're happy with an afternoon, then shop in the morning, meet for lunch and head for the beach with your friends.

If you want to spend the DAY on the beach, the three choices that you've indicated are certainly three differents birds of a feather.

Divi is a resort on Little Bay. It's an ok beach, but is often overrun by cruisers. It is close to the ship and has the food and beverage choices that the resort offers.

Pinel is a 'deserted island' type of beach experience. Limited and fairly expensive food and beverage choices, but a nice beach. You have to take the 'ferry' to get there. Plan in advance the timing to get back to the ship on time.

Orient is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, with a mile and a half of great sand and plentiful choices for food and beverage. In some areas there are lots of people, but in others it is nearly deserted. In some areas there are topless, and even nude people, not necessairly so in other areas.

Choices, choices, choices.

gary

...We thought we would find something to do in the morning, meet up at the ship with the others for lunch and then head to a beach - or ....:)

I wouldn't even think about going back to the boat for lunch. That will consume way too much precious time.

I would just go to Orient and arrange to meet at a specific general area at the beach. With a little homework on the beach itself, you can reliably tell the others where they can find you at the beach. As a suggestion, meet at or near the Tex-Mex Bar, The Pirate, or Bay Watch. They are all just steps apart and your friends can easily find you.

For shopping, I would do it before you go to the beach. Most people have a very hard time leaving Orient once they are there.

Given the logistics and groups, I would hold off on Pinel until next time. Divi? If you like a small man-made hotel beach with coarse sand, it's okay, but why settle for a third rate beach. Anguilla? Don't do it.

In May we rented a car at the cruise ship dock, drove to Pinel for snorkeling and beach time. We later drove to Orient Beach for a late lunch and people watching. We had a little time left for shopping on the way back to the ship, but parking in Phillipsburg was not very good. Pedro's is a good place for lunch as well, since it is where the taxis let people off.

The ferrys leave for Pinel on the hour and cost $6.00 each. You really cannot do that using a taxi very easily. We have stayed on St Martin in the past so we know the island well.

If you just want to go a beach, go to Orient. We love going to Pinel, and it has a nice beach, but I would not call it a deserted island, except when everyone leaves at the end of the day. And I mean everyone.

Thanks for all the great, insightful information!!!

So I have it narrowed down to:

• Creole Rock
  • Pinel Island
  • Dawn Beach
  • Or I was thinking of going on one of those 65 Foot Schooners - where they take you to different snorkel spots and offer free rum punch

Please someone help me with these four choices. Both my DH and I are avid snorkelers, but we would probably get prone to seasickness on a schooner.

I am really thinking of going ahead to Dawn Beach for the snorkeling. What do you guys think about my choices?

Thanks so much.

Dawn Beach probably makes sense, but in any case you're not going to have 5-star quality snorkeling at St. Maarten. Too much hurricane impact over the years. Even then, Dawn Beach could be difficult do to wave action. It all depends on current and recent weather approaching from the southeast.

The other locations could present some logistical issues. Rum punch and snorkeling don't seem to be a good match.

You could always go to the beach in the morning and then go back to the ship for a late lunch . After lunch, you can take the water taxi from the ship to the downtown shopping area ($5 for an all day pass).

If you are going to be in Phillipsburg around lunchtime than going back to the ship is very easy and convenient.

Orient Beach is the best. I would either take the excursion offered on the ship, (have done this twice myself), it includes a lunch, and they will drop you back off in Phillipsburg for shopping. We usually go to St. Martin at least twice a year and stay at Orient Beach. If you do not want an excursion, grab a taxi, and go straight there as soon as you can get off the ship, Orient Beach tends to be a morning, early afternoon beach. I would then eat at Baywatch and then grab a taxi back to either Phillipsburg, and do your shopping, or go back to to ship to leave wet suits and towels, grab a water taxi and off to Phillipsburg for shopping. Phillipsburg is the place to by your liquor. We just came back from a week in St. Martin and paid $19.95 or Grey Goose, and $5.95 for SKYY. It was a non cruise ship day, so the prices might have been lower. Last year I believe we paid $6.95 for SKYY. I can not remmeber the name of the place we bought at, but it was a jewelery and liquor store.A lot of people will tell you St Tomas is the beat, but St Martin is a lot cheaper for liquor. What ever you choose just enjoy yourself.

Happiness is no tan lines.

Wow - sounds like St. Maarten has some good shopping - I am not into all that razzamatazz of perfume and jewelry - But I do like tacky souveniours and nice souveniers and cheap liquor. Sounds like this is the place.

Tell me something. I hear every one loves Orient Beach - But there isnt a reef there?

Isn't there someplace on the island with a decent reef and fish? I hear you all say PINEL - and I am cool with that - but also the SXM websites all rave about Dawn Beach. Maybe they are just hyping it up??

Well, there IS a small reef at Orient, but I've never observed better than Fair snorkeling there, and it's often Poor because of sea conditions.

You can see the reef in the Google Earth image over in my PhotoBucket.

Near the center of the shot is Pedro's Restaurant, a key taxi drop point. From the water in front of Pedro's, the reef runs off to the East (left in this view). Note that this places it entirely inside the 'Clothing Optional' area of Club Orient.

The border between the clothed and optional portions of the beach is regularly considered to be the string of boulders that runs out into the water right at Pedro's.

The only problem with Dawn beach is that the position exposes it to rough wind and surf conditions on a regular basis.

gary

...The border between the clothed and optional portions of the beach is regularly considered to be the string of boulders that runs out into the water right at Pedro's....

gary

For those that don't know, this is where cruisers position themselves to take photos of the clothing optional section of the beach. Many call it "Pervert Point". ;)

Thanks so much, Gary!!!

Well, there IS a small reef at Orient, but I've never observed better than Fair snorkeling there, and it's often Poor because of sea conditions.

You can see the reef in the Google Earth image over in my PhotoBucket.

Near the center of the shot is Pedro's Restaurant, a key taxi drop point. From the water in front of Pedro's, the reef runs off to the East (left in this view). Note that this places it entirely inside the 'Clothing Optional' area of Club Orient.

The border between the clothed and optional portions of the beach is regularly considered to be the string of boulders that runs out into the water right at Pedro's.

The only problem with Dawn beach is that the position exposes it to rough wind and surf conditions on a regular basis.

gary

Archived