Live From Valor (June 27)

centerpoint

Just checking in…it’s been a great time so far. Except for about a one-hour “stoppage” in movement, embarkation was a breeze. We were very impressed with our lunch when we got on board. We arrived at the terminal at 10:30am, and were on the boat right around noon.

Here’s a first-timer’s impression of the day of embarkation and “fun day” at sea: We’ve had a great time…food is good, last night’s show (Nightclub Express) was much better than the opening night show. I had a blast when I took my kid to the water-slide, and I can’t get over how good the pizza and burgers are – and that I don’t have to pay for them.

I’ll confess it was a little annoying that kids completely dominated the pools on the first night – including the hot tubs, but it wasn’t that way yesterday. Also, I’m not sure where this issue of “chair-hogging” comes from. No problem here. There are plenty of chairs on deck. Maybe it will be different on the way back.

I got charged for soda in the dining room!

My wife says the soda card won’t be worth it, because she’s not drinking enough soda to make it worth it. Besides, the fruit juices are excellent, and I haven’t even missed the sodas at all.

I’ve been through the purser line about 4 times already. My S&S card keeps failing, and they have to fix it. But they have been quite good to me in figuring things out.

I have to go…we’re just now pulling into Grand Cayman….gonna go for a half-day with Captain Marvin...later!

Just checking in…it’s been a great time so far. Except for about a one-hour “stoppage” in movement, embarkation was a breeze. We were very impressed with our lunch when we got on board. We arrived at the terminal at 10:30am, and were on the boat right around noon.

Here’s a first-timer’s impression of the day of embarkation and “fun day” at sea: We’ve had a great time…food is good, last night’s show (Nightclub Express) was much better than the opening night show. I had a blast when I took my kid to the water-slide, and I can’t get over how good the pizza and burgers are – and that I don’t have to pay for them.

I’ll confess it was a little annoying that kids completely dominated the pools on the first night – including the hot tubs, but it wasn’t that way yesterday. Also, I’m not sure where this issue of “chair-hogging” comes from. No problem here. There are plenty of chairs on deck. Maybe it will be different on the way back.

My wife says the soda card won’t be worth it, because she’s not drinking enough soda to make it worth it. Besides, the fruit juices are excellent, and I haven’t even missed the sodas at all.

I’ve been through the purser line about 4 times already. My S&S card keeps failing, and they have to fix it. But they have been quite good to me in figuring things out.

I have to go…we’re just now pulling into Grand Cayman….gonna go for a half-day with Captain Marvin...later!

LUCKLY Guy got another 152 days for our cruise Best wishes and clear weather Have fun

Have you tried the Fish and Chips at lunchtime upstairs from Rosies?

I would tell a crew member if I was having problems with the over-run, kid-filled jacuzzis. They aren't supposed to be in there, are they? Don't let a bunch of rugrats ruin your week! Get them out of the jacuzzis!

I'm lapping up & loving any Valor update:o Thanks!

enester

I can't wait for your next report. We did Capt. Marvins just this last april on miracle. It was fantastic. Please let us know how it went, we'll be going back next april on the valor with five teen agers and I want to do this again. :):)

I am looking forward to hearing your review on Captain Marvin's tour as well! We are booked for that tour in November when we are on the Valor!! Thanks for posting the info!! I love getting all the great tips and info from cruise critic!

Holly

Hey everyone...things have gone really well. We just left Costa Maya, and are heading back to Miami :( ...

When I get back, I'll give reviews and answer questions if you want. Hitting up the fish-n-chips place tomorrow.

Yep...we set our clocks back to Miami time last night...oh well. I'll start planning the next one now!

That reminds me...for all who are worried about clocks - don't! It was so easy. We rolled our clocks back one hour the night before Grand Cayman and left it there until the night we left Costa Maya. It wasn't nearly as complicated as some folks have made it out to be!

And last night's show was great!

Hi, sorry to barge in but it just so happens that I was also on the Valor this past week (6/26/06 -7/2/06). This was my third cruise. The first two were with Royal Caribbean. I decided to go on Carnival this time because my wife's family was celebrating one of their birthdays. However, I wasn't completely pleased. Well if you want to hear my 2 cents here goes:

Pros:

Nicely decorated ship, pretty new

Good shows, lots of variety, tons to keep you busy

Great Itinerary (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya) all beautiful places to visit!!

Cons:

Terrible system to drop off luggage and board ship. You have to literally dodge cars to get to the CCL entrance from the parking garage. If you're coming by taxi don't worry.

If you're lucky, some of the crew members may understand some of the English language. And if you get one that speaks English you hit the jackpot. Most crew members in food service don't speak more than 4-5 English words.

Long lines for EVERYTHING! Long lines (15-20 min) for breakfast buffet.

Also, long lines to get on ship from islands, countries etc. Long lines for getting off the ship. Cannot imagine if there was an emergency!!!

Cruise layout is very very confusing!! Most people were always lost and didn't know how to get to their destination 1/2 the time.

I probably wouldn't recommend a cruise with Carnival because I'd rather spend a little more and go with Royal Caribbean. You just get more professional overall feel from the crew and experience. But that's just me, maybe you like to stand in long lines at every buffet venue and skimp on being treated like king.

Poor room service. No hot food delivered to your room not even for breakfast! That means only food like danishes, cereals, sandwiches, etc. Royal Caribbean will bring anything you want to eat to your room. You can even skip your nightly dinner seating and have it in your room every night if you wanted to! Hot breakfast to your room every morning with RCL but not CCL.

Other than that I had a pretty good time. Stops were fantastic!! There's more to say but I'll leave some for another day.....

Bye for now!

Each person has their own opinion, to be sure.

Every crew member I spoke to could speak English. Especially those whose jobs connected them with guests. I had some pretty good conversations with them as a matter of fact. I did, however, manage to get some Spanish practice, as well as Tagalog in!

It's true that lines were there, especially if you're a late riser for breakfast (I'm not - not even on vacation.). But they always moved pretty quickly, and I was never in a line for twenty minutes! I'm glad I didn't follow Justin Case around. He seemed to find them.

The ship's layout can be confusing. I got turned around the first couple of days. After that, there was no problem.

Centerpoint----glad your back and enjoyed your cruise! How was Captain Marvins tour? When we are on the Valor there will be 7 ships in port in Grand Cayman including ours. We figure it is going to be very busy. We are booked with Captain Marvin for the short snorkel/stingray tour and then the tour of Hell etc. I would love to hear what you thought of their tour!

Thanks!

Holly :D

Centerpoint----glad your back and enjoyed your cruise! How was Captain Marvins tour? When we are on the Valor there will be 7 ships in port in Grand Cayman including ours. We figure it is going to be very busy. We are booked with Captain Marvin for the short snorkel/stingray tour and then the tour of Hell etc. I would love to hear what you thought of their tour!

Thanks!

Holly :D

Loved the Captain Marvin tour. We did the half day (2 snorkel stops and Stingray City), and it was great. They will do their best to keep you out of the crowd while snorkeling, but stingray city is only so big. Enjoy!

Also, the crew is very friendly and engaging.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Carnival. We cruised on RCCL 5 years ago, and did not enjoy it. I don't remember the food being as good as you've mentioned. If fact, that was one of the reasons why we decide never to cruise with RCCL again. Their variety was limited, and they didn't offer very many choices outside of the dinning room. To enjoy life, one must give and take. We enjoy Carnival's free-will philosophy of life. For the perhaps older, more conservative minded cruiser, I'd suggest you by-pass Carnival and select RCCL. You'd probably enjoy it more, spend less time finding things to complain about, and have more time to be a stick in the mud.

Archived