Disney Wonder Vs. Enchantment with a 4 and 9 year old?

We were looking at the 4 day Disney Wonder or the Enchantment for August of this year. We just got back from the inaugural Freedom cruise and can't wait to go on another! The kids LOVED it, couldn't get enough of the kid's program! Therefore, we really loved it and were able to have lots of adult time.

The kids love WDW but I'm wondering how the programs and the ships compare?

Does Disney keep the kid's program open while in port?

The food? Does Disney have Island Oasis drinks (which is of utmost

Thanks for any information!

importance LOL)?

hello bocacruiser:

we have cruised Disney 3 times ann loved it. Our grandson cried when we had to drag him out of the kid's club. He now compares all other cruising entertainment to the Disney ships. We are big Disney freaks here, but we found out very quickly that they don't "Disney" you to death. For the most part, it was either planned or very subtle. Let me know if I can help you out

CELIA

We've looked at Disney several times since we have little girls (now and 4). After doing some research here and elsewhere we decided against it. I've read some negative things about the kids' program always being packed and my girls can get overwhelmed by too many kids at once. And they love RC, so do we. Works for me.

I've sailed Disney 2x and they are by far my favorite cruise line, and I have no kids and am not a fan of the mouse. You may want to consider the visit to Castaway Cay in your decision. IMO, it is by far the best private island, and I would do a Disney cruise just to go there. The entertainment, rotational dining and cabin size / layout are also big plusses. I would sail Disney more if it wasn't for their ridiculous prices.

With that said, Enchantment is still a great ship, though it doesn't offer a Disney or Fredom like experience. There is still plenty to do (don't forget about the trampolines) and she's in great shape after her recent stretching.

If you can afford Disney, do Disney! Best by far, especially for the clubs and shows. And the private island is the best also. Also, the adult area was almost always empty from what I remember, so you can have all the relaxation you can muster.

Sunday we leave for Miami to sail on the Majesty and so this will be DD's first non Disney cruise....

I was on Enchantment in Jan of 2005 and not many kids on the ship at all!! Shocking after Disney. Probably Summer brings out more kids...

Although there is nothing like " Pirate Night" on Disney with the Fireworks!! Plus the sail a way parties are awesome!! Lots of fun!

My favorite is Disney, but I am also willing to sail RCL...I figure it is a "New" experience! Can't compare it to DCL..

We will sail DCL again next year probably...

You asked about kids clubs while in port. At Castaway Cay, they move the kids club onto the island. They don't however have the kids swim, so we only let the kids use the club a little that day. Took the kids with me on other ports so I can't say for sure, but I think that they had the kids club open for the kids to stay on the ship and parents could take excursions. It was a few years ago, so it is kind of fuzzy. I will say that my kids loved the Disney kids club and have not enjoyed any others as much. Dining in different dining rooms is a plus and the shows are at reasonable times so the kids can go. I find the shows on other lines to be so late in the evening, I can't even stay awake. Disney shows are also more family oriented. The room seemed smaller than other ships I've been on, but it could be that we had 4 in the room instead of 3, and tons of luggage since we spent 10 days at Disney before the cruise. Have not been on Enchantment to compare (not till Sept). But kids are teens now and do not use the kids club. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself no matter what you decide. I will say that we loved the Disney cruise and for awhile compared everything to it. Now our favorite is RCCL because of the kids ages. If you're going to do Disney, do it now, while the kids will enjoy it most. They age fast and you will have plenty of time later for RCCL.

The kids club are open while in port..They are open all day until midnight.

We rented a jeep in St.Marteen and took DD (8) with us for the morning and then came back and checked her into the clubs and picked up my best friend and then we spent the rest of the day on the Island... Kids were all in the clubs having a blast.

DD also loved the goofy slumber party!! They got to wear their P.J.'s and make pillow cases.. When we went to get the kids "Stitch" was there and they were trashing the kids club. They did not want too leave!

As the other poster said the kids club moves to Castaway Cay on that day, but it seems very HOT in the area...DD did the scavenger hunt and whale bone dig while we checked out Serenity bay...Love that place!! I can only go for a short time cause I won't leave DD to long since she loves to play in the Ocean so much.

Gosh wish I was there right now!!

I am looking forward to Coco cay next week...It looks very nice in the pictures that I have seen.

My daughter absolutely LOVED Disney. I thought their kid's program was much better than that on the Enchantment even though I thoroughly enjoyed both cruises. Disney's program was open most of the time whether in port or not. They really kept the kids busy and took their jobs very seriously. While my daughter was in RC's program, I did not find that they supervised the children as well and my daughter took a long time to get used to the counselors. The counselors at Disney welcomed the children with open arms and made them feel comfortable right away. Just my opinion....

We've looked at Disney several times since we have little girls (now and 4). After doing some research here and elsewhere we decided against it. I've read some negative things about the kids' program always being packed and my girls can get overwhelmed by too many kids at once. And they love RC, so do we. Works for me.

Glad it works for you!

What I must respectfully disagree with, however, are the negative postings you read regarding the Oceaneer's Club on DCL.

There is a limit as to how many kids can be on the ship at one time, and to a lesser degree, how many can be in the club. I've cruised 4 times (with triplets no less) and never once did I (nor they) feel crowded.

As it happens, kids are rarely shut out of a program.

We're cruising FOS next February just for a change of pace, but we'd cruise DCL in a heartbeat anytime.

Archived