Best BCD for a portly diver?

LCW

My husband is looking for his first BCD. Any recommendations on one that isn't exceeedingly expensive and will fit someone who has some extra weight around the middle?

I didn't catch where you live but I would recommend that your DH go to your local dive shop and try on several BCD's.... For a couple of reasons... One is that you can try it on... Also, you can ask questions of them about what they would recommend and see if it works for you.... Also, they have the ones they use for rental and maybe they would let you use it in the pool and see how it fits... I went to the Long Beach Scuba Show last year looking for equipment.. The good thing is that they don't sell BCD's there as they need what they bought for display... but they have almost EVERYTHING...... So you can try many, see what you like and then go home and sit on it..... As well as looking for it online for a better price.... But remember, you can find a better price, often the local shop will honor it within reason to keep business local and you can go to them for questions and service after purchase.... lol.... So, that's my 2 cents worth.......Have fun....

I need a little more information to point you in the correct direction...

For example, I'm very large for a woman (5'6", 235), and currently use a mens XL jacket-style integrated Dacor that fits quite well, and doesn't interfere with the 'girls'.

My husband is both big and tall (6'5", 290), and has been through several iterations over the past 13 years... first a XXXL Dacor jacket-style, then a back-mount from Durabag that had the straps specially modified and lengthened, and now he's in a jacket-style integrated Oceanic XXL.

Several manufacturers make a XXL jacket-style, (we looked at the Sherwood and SeaQuest models) but the Oceanic Probe was the only one that was tall enough for him.

Now, if we're talking really big, we have a friend that had the straps specially modified for an integrated Zeagle back-mount as he was 6'3" and 400+. He has since had surgery and the BC is being remodified as he gets smaller.

Will check back.

Wendy

dive photos

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

Ask your local shop about a backplate/wing setup. You can easily get a harness to fit any size diver since you custom fit it to your own body. A DiveRite harness, aluminum backplate and a travel wing should do the trick. Check out http://www.diverite.com Similar products can be found @ http://www.deepseasupply.com, http://www.halcyon.com, etc. Any questions, let me know.

But definitely a bit spendy, and the OP asked for moderate pricing.

When you're carrying a lot of equipment, or changing configurations from single to double, Dive Rite has a fabulous system. We occasionally run into a dive buddy that runs singles for ocean dives, and doubles/extras for caving, and he swears by his Dive Rite.

We have seriously considered them several times over the years, but both of us prefer the balance of a jacket-style BC (and I had the vapors at the price tags)

Enjoy!

Wendy

So, Your are looking for a moderately priced BC for a large diver?

I just bought a new BC this past February and did some research as well as trying out several models.I am rather large myself (250 lbs) and the only companies I could find that make an XXL BC were Sherwood,Sea Quest, and Oceanic. I chose the Sherwood Avid and I really like it.The Avid is a jacket style but it has 6 metal d-rings and can be equiped with the Akona pro-kit (built in knife, light, and guage retractors) so it has a lot of features that 'techies' like.I can easily mount my pony bottle and carry a couple of lights and knives.The BC fits great and should fit someone much larger than me.It can carry up to 26 lbs in the two weight pockets and another 10 lbs in the back two pockets. It also has two tank straps instead of one.My only complaint is the zippered pockets are had to access under water.The Avid also has a snorkel pocket that holds a compact snorkel--great feature.It is priced right at around $400-500 dollars and the Akona pro-kit was another $79.Hope this helps and no I dont work for Sherwood----I always used to buy only Aqua Lung gear--cant beat a Legend reg for the money!!!!!

I just bought a Tusa Imprex Pro. The XL fits me fine and if he's any bigger around than me he probably shouldn't be diving. Funny, as I get older I keep growing, but only around, never taller.:confused: Anyway I've got a 46 in waist. The Iprex is a back inflate so no pressure on the chest or belly as most jacket style BCDs will have on a heavy guy, but still has 43 pounds of lift, important if he's big, dives in cold water and wears a thick wetsuit and hence a little too much lead. It also has a very good integrated weight system including trim pockets in the back to help balance the forward tilting bias back inflate BCDs have at the surface. Cost is a little up there +\- $500 but it should last for years.

Kent

PADI OWSI

Hi,

It's been casually mentioned in this thread but you should consider LIFT of the BC, with comfort second. If the BC doesn't offer the lift your husband needs, then when he does down deeper he may have problems keeping himself from bouncing off the bottom. If you get it down to two or three he likes, make sure you check out the lift. I've found similar BCs but one offered 10lbs more lift than the other and it was good knowing I had it if I needed it (I brought up a 25lb boat anchor I found on a lake bed at 65ft and didn't even have my BC totally inflated to get off the bottom). Though I doubt it if your husband will be lifting boat anchors, should an emergency happen to him or his buddy where they had to make a controlled assent, having the extra lift to get you started up is always a good thing (venting off as you rise of course).

Hope this helped,

Randall

• 2 weeks later...

Archived