"SNUBA" Stingray City

B-52

Has anyone tried this? They say you are in 10-15 ft of water. If so, this is a different location than the where the people are standing chest deep.

What equipment do you use, etc

We are signed up to go with RCL. Looking for something different. Our group is very active.

Comments please.

Has anyone tried this? They say you are in 10-15 ft of water. If so, this is a different location than the where the people are standing chest deep.

What equipment do you use, etc

We are signed up to go with RCL. Looking for something different. Our group is very active.

Comments please.

Have not done it, but are interested. I read a couple of the posts on this board, and it sounded interesting. When I did a google search, it looked like only one operator on Cayman did Snuba - Kirk's sea tours.

http://www.kirkseatours.com/index.shtml

I sent him an email asking the same question you did, and also asked if you could also snuba on a reef. His reply was that they do go to a different area that is in deeper water (the original). It is close to the sandbar. The tour from our cruise would not go to a reef from the stingrays. I tried to book him independently, but think that he must have an agreement with cruise lines not to.

There may be someone else running the snuba, but I couldn't find them on the internet.

You might want to rethink the Kirk Sea Tours. Do a search here for them. They had a boat to sink with Costa Cruisers on them (it was a Costa tour) aaaaand it seems they continued out to sea as they were taking on water and once they sunk (though it was in 5-8 foot of water--but the folks onboard idd not know that at first), the crew sat on the capsized boat and watched the passengers, offering no help to anyone. I would avoid them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done SNUBA at St Thomas and it is terrific fun. I do not SCUBA but enjoyed snorkeling so SNUBA was a lot of fun. It feels like I imagine SCUBA would feel (meaning you are 10-20 feet deep and able to move around and still breathe) but I did not have to carry a tank or take certification classes. Felt very safe the whole time. Once you get the hang of breathing through your mouth, it is simple and since there is a certified diver with you in case something goes wrong, you do not have to know all the other stuff divers have to learn. I really want to do it again and almost took SCUBA lessons because it was so much fun.

As for Grand Cayman, I have been there and snorkeled and went to Stingray City. It is the best excursion we have been on and a MUST DO. I would love to get to SNUBA at one of the reefs then go to Stingray City to wade with the rays but I am having trouble finding such an adventure. I am sad to hear that only Kirks offers SNUBA and I am still trying to find if there is somewhere else. Last trip to Grand Cayman, we used Soto's and were very pleased with them and I have asked if they have something similar.

Bottom Line - SNUBA is wonderful and unforgetable. Stingray City is incredible.

We did Snuba in Grand Cayman on a Carnival shore tour. We walked from where the tender let us off (about 5 min walk) to the Dive shop and snuba'd right there (no boat!). You swim out about 100 yards to a ship wreck. The water was about 18 feet deep. Lots of fish to photograph. We had a blast. Sorry I didn't catch the name of the dive shop, but if you just go there without going through the cruise line they charged $45pp (Carnival charged $65pp).

Archived