Warnemunde Car Rental - HELP!!!!!

BeBeReader

We are renting a car out of Rostock for one day to go to Berlin with a couple we met on this Board. It is a Hertz rental. I read here that Hertz will bring the car to the dock. So I called Hertz and asked about this. I was told it would cost $30 extra. Not a big problem. I asked whether Hertz US could arrange for this. I was told I had to call Germany.

Well, you know my "German" is limited to a significant number of Yiddish expressions, none of which is "car rental." But I called the Hertz rental place in Rostock and said in my best non-German (trying not to sound too New Jersey), "Do you speak English?" I understood the response in German - "No English." That was the end of my conversation to Germany.

Then my husband e-mailed a friend in Munich to request that she call Rostock. But she must be away, because we haven't heard from Alexandra. And I bet she isn't on this Board.

I would be so appreciative of any suggestions about how I can communicate to Hertz in Rostock that we want the rental car brought to the dock?

BeBe

It's wonderful of Ernst to make the offer, but it might be in vain.

Put yourself into the Hertz agent's shoes ... would you change a reservation request from a third party? It might be o.k. if Ernst is a travel agent but, if not ..........

I think it can be done. Ernst, good samaritan that he is, and I will report back on this. It is not the reservation but a small modification in it. :)

Ernst and I will report back on this thread about the progress. :D

Any reason you're doing this tour on your own vs Milk & Honey tour? I noticed that you're taking Red October for St. Petersburg because you responded to my other post. Where in NJ are you from? Born and raised in Paterson...

Wendywalin,

I haven't looked into Milk and Honey. Let me know what you know about it.

I have the same roots as Philip Roth but younger roots. Goodbye Columbus, American Pastoral, etc. Same high school, same teachers. Above all, same neighborhood, now immortalized in literature.

See you on the cruise.

BeBe

• 4 months later...

Hi

Just for the record for those searching for next year's Baltic season..... we telephoned Hertz in Rostock direct (number from website) arranged for the car to be waiting for us at the dock in Warnemunde at 8 am. We spoke to an English speaking man. The car and agent were waiting for us when we got there. Amazing value - Audi A6 for euros 50 for the day!.

We visited Schwerin Castle and 2 or 3 other towns with castles.

No speed limits on the autobahns was very tempting....

Have fun!

I think I should finally make good on my promise to get back. We rented a car from Hertz in Warnemunde and traveled with 2 friends we made on our Baltics cruise to Berlin for the day. The car was a new Audi station wagon with navigation, which proved to be a great extra. A very luxurious rental car. We had good maps as well. The trip to Berlin was easy. The autobahn was easy. The signage was simple to follow. We parked in a garage and got on the Hop On Hop Off bus to see some of the sights. The city is obviously impressive. The only hairy experience was the traffic on the way out of Berlin. We were a little concerned about getting back to the Insignia on time, but we made it with time to spare. The Hertz people were there, I think, until 9:00 pm to process the return. It was a great day. I believe that going to Berlin was so very much worth spending the time and effort.

You need to make sure that the Hertz location at the dock in Warnemunde knows that you are picking up there. We had our friends from Sweden, who spoke German, call for us and make this clear from the ship itself. Also, pick up the car as early as possible if you go to Berlin, because it is a long, although thoroughly enjoyable, experience.

BeBe

Archived