Just back from Costa Fortuna

HandHandB

We were on the Costa Fortuna Med Trip and returned two days ago. We LOVED our holiday. This is the 6th cruise for my husband and I and the third for our 11 year old son (it was our 1st trip with Costa).

Highlights:

1. Beautiful ship

2. We LOVED the food and are very willing to try new items. I would suggest that those who don't like the food are those who want standard American fare. Even this I find odd, as you can always get a burger, fries and pizza on this ship. We tried new foods each night and especially loved the fish. Portion sizes are small but this allows you to order/eat all three courses. There were a few items we didn't enjoy but most were amazing.

3. Excellent service all around. We never encountered a single staff person who wasn't willing to help.

4. We went to two shows. We loved the juggler show. We left the other show after 10 minutes. However, we are not good judges of shows as we don't care for the singing/dancing routines and with an 11 year olds, it has to be a magic type show for him to enjoy it.

5. The announcements in different languages were not a problem.

6. Some people are pushy and you will have to be a bit forcefull or you will lose your place in line etc. This seems like a cultural thing and not a personal thing as no one seems to get upset. Don't expect to hear an "excuse me" as it doesn't seem to be part of the vocabulary. When you see the congestion in Rome, you may come to understand that with so many people there just isn't time for Canadian politeness.

7. European children tend to be given more freedom than Canadian children. Rules tend not to be enforced either by parents or ship staff (ie kids diving into the pools without looking first). There were a lot of kids on the ship and I can honestly say that the only problem this created for us was congestion at the pools.

8. Kids club looked quite good for younger children and the staff were excellent. Our son is a mature 11 yr old and was happier to spend time on his own or with us.

9. My opinion - GO and have a great time. The whole trip was very well managed. We had a blast and how else can you see this much of Europe for such little $$$$.

Ports:

1. Rome - amazing and the Sunquest tour was excellent!

2. Naples - no real time to see much of Naples

3. Palmero - we did the hop-on-hop off buss tour. It was ok but due to traffic congestion it was hard to see much and even harder to take photos. I would suggest a walking tour as most things are not far apart.

4. Tunis - don't make the mistake we made which was to walk around on our own. There is NOTHING to see near the port and the taxi drivers are more annoying that fleas! Take the ships tour and I would suggest the one that includes shopping as Tunis has many beautiful souvineers at a reasonable price. You WON'T find any shops near the port.

5. Palma - We went Scuba diving which we arranged privately with balearicdiving.com before our trip. We had an amazing time and this company is awesome!

6.Marseille - We headed to the tourist office and got a map and did our own walking tour. We learned a lot, saw a lot and it was FREE!

7. Savona - Again we did a walking tour on our own. Savona is beautiful and probably one of our favourite ports. Lots of beautiful buildings and great things to see.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived