car rental in waikiki

Squirtreena

I am doing a precruise for my pride of hawaii cruise....in honolulu 5 nights...should we rent a car..i keep reading that no we shouldnt the bus is so handy...well i have parking for free..and i will rent at the airport..and not sure where i will take it back to after to get to my cruise?? anyone done this before?

we rented from National at the airport and returned to the National location near the port. Be careful if you do this--even with my written confirmation showing that was how I reserved, the National office at the airport kep insisting that I had a $30 drop off fee to pay. After flying 10 hours, I really wasn't in the best mood, so they finally agreed to "let" me have the reservation as I booked and confirmed with no drop=off fee.

I did not enjoy driving in Wakiki--lots of traffic, and finding the downtown office was a challenge, but the office people in Wakkiki were much nicer than the ones at the airport, and got us to the ship easily.

My parents go to Hawaii for months at a time and they never rent a car. Too much hassle finding a parking place and WAY too many one way streets and traffic is crazy. They ride The Bus and it is very easy- it even stops at the airport. Might be a hassle dragging that HUGE suitcase full of Macadamia nuts on the bus tho....;)

Squirtreena

You can Email me at yosemitelupine@yahoo and I will give you the details on how I decided about a rental car. It is too long and boring to post on the thread.

Deb

Deb, I would be very interested to here how it worked for you, so please post !! :D

I second konakraft!:)

We would love to hear all the long and boring details on your car rental. Personally, I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to get the best rate, whether to go directly through the rental car agencies, or go on the web to a travel website. I even considered going to AAA.

We won't pick up our car on Oahu until the day after we arrive so we won't be at the airport, we'll be at our hotel, Marriott Waikiki. Anyone know how we would get our car? What do we put for location? And the same for the other ports. We aren't flying in to the other ports, we are floating in to the harbor, so I don't know what to list as the "pick-up" place. Getting a little frustrated!:eek:

Any help from anyone would be appreciated, and I will continue to scour the forums for more info.

Thanks in advance!

Okay, Okay, but I don't know if it is too late, the deal for a rental car end today. I was hoping that Sqirtreena would have emailed me a day or so ago.

I am buying a Go Hawaii Card that includes a Dollar rental car for one day if you buy one three day card. Since I needed to buy two cards that gave us two days with a rental. There are several things included in the Go Hawaii that were on our interinery already so it made sense. I haven't used it yet, so I was a bit hesitant to post it on the open forum as a recommendation. The third day that we are in Hawaii we will be using the Wakiki Trolley that is included with the card.

You can get more infor on their website which I find by searching for Go Hawaii card.

Spleen,

Have you heard of the Hale Koa Parking lot? It is supposed to be near the Outrigger Reef Hotel. Is this the one for military people? Can we use it?

Thanks

You need military id or car sticker.

They still charge money, but you can get validation at hotel restaurants.

Hale Koa is a great place for military people to stay. I also recommend beach cabins at Bellows, that'll be a vacation to remember.

Rosiej,

There is a Hertz Rental desk in the Waikiki Marriott. I just rented a convertable for the day from the Hotel location on Hertz's website. You have to search for neighborhood locations in Honolulu to find it, or just call their 800 #. That way if you want a car for just the day you won't waste a lot of time, or pay for parking. Im not sure how the prices stack up, but I don't want to waste hours to save a few bucks!

Thanks for the info on the Hertz rental desk at Waikiki Marriott. I think that would be easier for those few days in Waikiki. I'll have to check out the prices. The prices for Thrifty through discounthawaiicarrental.com are amazing, but I'm not sure if it will be as convenient, unless they have a shuttle from the hotel to the pier. Hmmmmm, one more phone call to make. :)

Archived