Birth Card

w0209666

My mom and I have both misplaced our birth certificates. We went today to go and get them. I was able to get mine, but we live in southern Louisiana and many of our records were affected by the hurricane. We were told that because of her age, she could not get one. It has something to do with all the records that were lost and the slow process of updating them. They had only updated from like 2005-1983. I just barely made it. My mom was able to get a birth card which is a very small birth certificate, but it does not contain all the info that a full birth certificare does. Has anyone ever had this problem? Has anyone ever gotten on a cruise with a birth card. I am sure that my mom is not the only person to sail on a Carnival cruise from southern louisiana since the hurricane, so they must be able to do something for us...right?

Jamie

I work at a school, and after hurricanes Katrina and Rita we were instructed that any children coming from the areas affected by the hurricanes did not have to provide birth certificate, immunizations or any other required documentation. I would definitely get an official letter or statement from the agency that gave her the "birth card" stating that they are in the process of updating records lost in the hurricanes and haven't gotten back that far.

Then (depending on when you cruise) see if you can get a passport - I would think that since that area was declared a disaster area, the government would cut you some kind of slack!

My mother in law had a birth card, just like what your talking about, My ta, checked with carnival and they said they had seen many of these, and it would be fine, But I went ahead and sent for a regular one, but I think that will be fine.

It's not Carnivals call. I would be concerned if I were the OP.

I would not be concerned if I were the OP. When checking the Louisiana.gov website it clearly says that birth cards may be issued and are acceptable state issued form of birth record. Here is what is says about birth cards, "The new certificates will be issued in a short-form card size and in the traditional long-form size. The short-form certificate includes a $5 surcharge and costs $14. It is valid for all purposes where a certificate is required by the state. You may read more on the Louisiana website at the link below.

http://www.louisiana.gov/wps/portal/.cmd/cs/.ce/155/.s/3978/.r/

It is valid for all purposes where a certificate is required by the state.

And this just might be the operative phrase.

I have one issued by AK and is valid there but was not accpetable for a DL in VA nor was it accpetable for acquiring a passport.

It might work but then again it might not.

OP have you tried VitalCheck? Good luck.

I'm surprised that the vital statistics dept. in Baton Rouge doesn't have these. The state bldgs. and records weren't affected like other parts of the state were. Doesn't make sense to me that you couldn't get hers from the main source....? I'd call Vital Records in B.R.

Guest YesitDonna

I have had a card for years. It has a raised seal on it and my name, date of birth and place of birth. I never gave the long version of my birth certificate except for applying for a passport.

Thanks guys, we are contacting Carnival but we are still very nervous that when we get down there that someone will not take it. It is really reassuring to know that a birth card has worked for some ppl. I wonder if it would be better to call the actual cruise terminal or CCL...We are sailing in about two weeks on the Holiday. We thought about getting her a passport but it would be over 100 dollars to get one that soon and we are trying to aviod that cost. I really appreciate all of your help.

Jamie

My wife and I sailed on Carnival last May and she has the Birth Card. Before we left, we went by AAA and asked if this was acceptable and they said it was...sure enough, we had no problems upon check-in...FYI, my wife eas also able to use this card when we applied for our Passports.

Jamie, We will be with you on the Holiday cruise. We went to B.R. last week and obtained one long form B.C. and two short form B.C's. There was a notice posted when we obtained the certificates stating that Carnival Cruise Line would accept the short forms. Get Ready....Only a few more days left. :)

You don't say when you're cruising, but I'm assuming before December?

As someone else suggested, maybe you should just go ahead & get a passport (it will be required for everyone after Dec 31, '06 anyway). Then there will be no question about an acceptable ID outside your home state - a passport is a FEDERAL not a STATE document.

FYI - when I got my passport last year in Massachusetts, I was required to get the "long form" birth certificate. So every state is different about their BC requirements, but once you have the passport, you're all set!

Sha

I will just throw in my 2 cents. I too was born in Louisiana and had to get a birth certificate after Katrina. I was issued the birth card. I was able to use this card to obtain my passport without a problem. I was also able to use it for our cruise this past April. If you are really concerned the best thing to do would to be to check with the Department of State or Homeland Security. You should be fine with just the birth card.

Jamie, We will be with you on the Holiday cruise. We went to B.R. last week and obtained one long form B.C. and two short form B.C's. There was a notice posted when we obtained the certificates stating that Carnival Cruise Line would accept the short forms. Get Ready....Only a few more days left. :)

I can't wait!!!!!! My mom is waiting to hear back from Carnival, but we will try to get her a rush passport if there is any problems.....The person at the place where we went to get ours (Hammond) said that she had heard that Carnival was taking the short forms.....

Again, Thanks everyone!

Jamie

There is a website that you can order birth certificates from your state capital i do beleive. www.vitalchek.com . I am not sure about louisiana and such but you're got some great advise. Whenever i am faced with a dilema like that, after all calling, asking the right people, i always make sure i get something in writing stating what was talked about. Im sure with the birth card you wont' have any problems, but its always better to have pleanty of information ( letters, birth certificates, passports) and not to need them, than to need them and not have them.

Hope i helped some..

have a great cruise

Thanks guys, we are contacting Carnival but we are still very nervous that when we get down there that someone will not take it. It is really reassuring to know that a birth card has worked for some ppl. I wonder if it would be better to call the actual cruise terminal or CCL...We are sailing in about two weeks on the Holiday. We thought about getting her a passport but it would be over 100 dollars to get one that soon and we are trying to aviod that cost. I really appreciate all of your help.

Jamie

Calling Carnival is a good idea only because I am sure they have run into this situation many times for Louisianna residents. However, U.S. Immigration/Homeland Security have the final call on what is acceptable. It is not a Carnival policy but the law. You might want to contact the Immigration department. Also, the Bureau of Vital Statistics in Baton Rouge should be able to provide a copy. All records of birth are forwarded to the capital of the state in which one lives. Good Luck. I'm sure you will make out fine. Just do a little "leg" work on this one so you won't be denied boarding.

Archived