Earplanes

cruisintwinsmom

They are earplugs that look a little like a honey dipper. Somehow they help with equalizing pressure within the ear. They can be purchased at places like walgreens and walmart. The manufacture says they can be used twice (I think). So one pair for a round trip flight I'm assuming. Our flight was nonstop, so used them twice.

They were recommended by my doctor and I have had great success with them. My problem was that the pressure in my ear would not normalize and I would have to go to the ENT after each flight to have them "fix" the pressure in my ears. (I've used them more than twice with no problem.)

Hi

In April we flew to Tampa for our cruise and I have a pair of earplanes I bought a few years ago before I flew because I had just recovered from an ear infection. Long story short, I didn't need them but pack them with me in my carryon every time I fly. We were descending into Tampa and my Mom got huge stabbing pain in her ears. I quickly gave her the earplanes, which she inserted immediately and instant relief. She said it was still weird feeling and a little uncomfortable but not the terrible pain before she put them in.

She used them on the way back BEFORE we started to descend and had no problem at all. They do work:D

Doodlefan

Hmm...very interesting. I don't have a problem with equalizing pressure but the droning of the airplane really bothers me. Do the earplanes minimize the airplane hum?

Yes, but I also find that it is difficult to carry on a conversation with anyone because I can't hear them very well!

Yes, but I also find that it is difficult to carry on a conversation with anyone because I can't hear them very well!

I would suggest a set of "on-ear" noise-reduction headphones. The on-ear type facilitates conversations better than the "over the ear" type, but at the cost of some loss of noise reduction. Sony makes a couple of nice "on-ear" models. One has a very nice feature in that you can push this large button on the side of one of the earphones and it turns off both the noise reduction AND the input from the music device/airplane IFE. So you get to hear everything without taking off the phones.

I personally take my NR headphones and MP3 player on every flight and love them. Definitely worth the investment IMHO.

Archived