how do I get to the train from port at Civitavecchia?

There will be taxis at the port but a trip into Rome is not cheap. The drivers may not be interested in a fare just to the train station.

We sailed on the Grand Princess last fall. There was a free shuttle bus to take us outside of the port. From there, it was about a 10-15 walk with luggage to the train station. Trains run frequently from there to the main Rome train station Termini. I can't remember the exact price but it was a lot less expensive than a taxi. And, you don't have to worry about traffic jams.

A cautionary note...in order to take the train, be prepared to handle your luggage and be prepared to carry up/down stairs and onto trains. If you have physical ailments, the train may not be the best option.:)

I copied and pasted this from my trip review (Cruise and Ports, Liberty Med 5/31). I think it covers what you are asking.

Disembarkation: Rather than leaving our suitcases outside the door, we chose to self-disembark as soon as the first group was called. This meant carrying our luggage, which wasn’t a big deal since we had packed light for easy handling. There was a long line for cabs and since we hadn’t prearranged a pick-up, we walked to the train station. There appeared to be no busses to shuttle one back through the port (or at least the rep was unaware when we asked.) My advice is to ask about this before leaving the ship, as the language skills of the agents on shore were not great. The walk was long, it was hot, and by the time we reached the train station we were ready for a restful trip. The train was crowded as we were traveling during rush-hour, so we ended up standing with our luggage. Anyone choosing this option should check when purchasing their return train ticket about a “transfer” as some people exited the train to take another to the airport before reaching Termini station. We stayed on until reaching Termini station, where we got on the Leonardo Da Vinchi express train back to the airport, retracing many of our stops

There is a free shuttle bus (its run by the Port which is why its free) that will take you from the pier to the port entrance. From the entrance its a few blocks to the station (towards your right along the coast) and if you are confused the port guards will point you in the right direction (just ask for the "Stazione"). The downside is that you will have to haul your luggage for a few blocks,,, although it is flat. There will be some taxis at the pier, but most will not want to take you on the "short haul" to the local station. If you do find a taxi, make sure you negotiate the price before you get in the car. The Italians are usually very friendly, but they are also entreprenaurs. A few weeks ago we needed to get to Europcar from the Grand Princess (Civatavecchia). This is a little further than the train station and we had tons of luggage. We could not get a taxi so we took the shuttle to the port entrance. We crossed the street with our luggage and asked a local man to point us in the right direction (we had a map but wanted some confirmation). He looked at all our luggage and sighed and offered us a ride for 10 Euros (a taxi meter would have probably read about 5 Euros for this short trip). We happily paid the man. Also keep in mind that the trains can be crowded, and you need to always have control of your luggage (particularly at any stop) as thefts are all too common. Also make sure that you remember to validate your train ticket (you insert it in a time/date stamp machine on or near the platform) before you board the train.

Hank

My Husband and I want to take the train from the ship into rome after the cruise. Does anyone know how to get from the port to the train station?

I've heard that taxis are pretty much nonexistant at the port.

We had no problem, the taxi's were right there when we got off the ship, (but is was Silverseas and that probably helped) we were one of the 1st off also. it cast 10 euros and takes 5 mins.

we have done this 3 times. free shuttle to the port entrance. then a five minute (max) walk to the train station. crossing to the other side however without getting killed may be a challenge with 4 or more bags! inside the station you can buy two classes of tickets. regular is 4.25 euros and is in a regular car where your luggage will most likely not be in your direct view. that being said the morning trains are nearly empty. it is about 1 hr 10 minutes to rome termini station. the compartment train 7 euros is only a 50 minute trip only one stop. the compartment holds 6 but since it is not crowded you can put your luggage in with you.

now the only drawback. the rome train seems to always be on track 3. down 50 concrete steps under the other two tracks and then lug the luggage up 50 steps to get to the right platform. if you don't have a heart attack you will be happy you did it! no porters at the station.

at rome termini watch out for cabbies. they are hustlers. if you are staying at a hotel call them before you leave the U.S. and ask them how much a cab from the train station should be. 30 euros for what should be a 9 euro cab ride is not uncommon. if you are just taking the connecting train to the airport it is 3 euros and nonstop to the airport. it lets you off about 150 ft. from the front of the airport.

• 3 weeks later...
What is the best way to go to Florence after the cruise?.

Will I train to Rome then to Florence, or do I explore car rentals. Any advice is apprecaited.

I responded to your earlier query. By the way, you should get the spelling right, otherwise you'll get nothing when seeking info from the www.

Hubby and I have done this too. I recommend this, very cheap to Rome, I think we paid 4 euros each. There is a port bus to take you to the port entrance. Make sure you ask a port employee about and where it stops. We couldn't find it at first.

It's not a long walk from the port entrance to the station but that depends on how much walking you do regularly I suppose. When you get off the bus just head to the right, you'll see other people going to the station. It's about a 15 minute walk.

We packed one carryon each and a shoulder bag that could be slung across the body leaving our hands free. We did see people with mutiple big, heavy bags. What were they thinking? I highly recommend bags such as we carried.

Once you get to the station you'll have to walk down stairs and upstairs to the platform, the steps up into the train can be challenging with a lot of luggage.

It's very easy but as someone else mentioned the trains will be packed, it's commute time. I recommend just walking back a few cars once you're on. Hubby and I did that a few times travelling by train and always got a seat and able to stow our luggage.

We recently (May 5) got off the Grand Princess in Civatavecchia, picked up our rental car (Europcar) and drove to Florence. However, we were staying in Italy for a few weeks..which is why we wanted a car. If you are planning to only go to Florence, than you are must better-off using the train. Driving in Florence is a nightmare unless you really know the city and parking can be a major problem. In fact, we carefully chose our hotel because it was a little out of the center of the city (across the river) and it had free parking. While in Florence we never used the car..since it was so much easier to walk and/or use the local buses.

Hank

Archived