Vancouver - Car Friendly?

I posted this query over on the Alaska boards, but it's probably best to post here instead:

Would you say it's relatively easy to get around downtown Vancouver by car? I'm concerned about finding parking - we'd like to visit Stanley Park and Grouse Mountain.

The plan is to rent a car after disembarking, spend the entire afternoon and early evening driving to the above-mentioned locales, then heading to our airport hotel to spend the night, before returning the car to YVR airport and catching very early flights.

We're renting a car because we need to store luggage while we tour, and we're staying near the airport for two reasons: 1) very early departing flights, and 2) no availability at any decent DT hotels (I won't use priceline because I like to know the property before I commit).

While there is a lot of traffic, it is very user friendly. We are two little old ladies from Los Angeles, and we only got lost once. Ha Ha Ha

Beware though, even though they say you can pick up the car at Canada Place, they actually take you to an office somewhere downtown. I had mapped from Canada Place to Richmond (where our hotel was) so totally got turned around when they took us downtown Vancouver. But it worked out better, because we wouldn't have wanted to go to the hotel and than have to come back to Stanley Park.

We did Stanley Park (lots of parking lots), took a trolley tour from Stanley Park all over Vancouver. Then drove around Vancouver, on our way to Richmond. I had searched on the Internet for things to do, found an old Farm that does teas and has lovely gardens. Stayed at the Abercorn Best Western in Richmond. Drove all around Richmond to the coast. Close to the airport. Dropped the car off at the airport. Another word of wisdom, drop your luggage at the airport before you return the car. We had quite a hike, hauling our luggage.

The Internet is a wonderful tool. Have fun planning, and have a great trip!:p

Are you ONLY going to Stanley Park and Grouse Mountain? If so, then you should have no problems getting around by car.

Otherwise, if you're seeing other sites in Vancouver, it's still relatively easy driving around Vancouver. However, having said that, if you plan to look around downtown Vancouver, I'd suggest you park the car in a lot, and WALK most places in the downtown area. Alternatively, again park, then take the Hop On, Hop Off trolley bus to the most popular sites (including Stanley Park). It's just not worth it to drive from place to place and have to find and pay for parking everywhere you go.

You can drive to Grouse Mountain, but timing is crucial if you want to avoid the heaviest rush-hour traffic across Lion's Gate bridge. Another option for Grouse Mountain would be to take the Seabus (close to the cruise ship terminal) across to the the north shore, then catch a bus to Grouse Mountian. The connection is very easy.

Archived