what is the difference???

Squirtreena

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is NCLA (Norweigan Cruise Line America) is just the three ships operating in Hawaii--Pride of Aloha, America, and Hawaii. NCL is the original/main cruise line which includes everywhere else! I believe that the three Hawaii ships are actually registered in the US since they never leave US waters, so they're classified slightly differently.

NCL-A is Noweigan Cruise Line America. It is technically a seperate company from NCL and is designed to operate the American flagged ships.

The Pride of Aloha, Pride of America and Pride of Hawaii are U.S. flagged where all other NCL ships are international flagged. (most Bahamas registry). Since the three ships are US flagged they are allowed to sail between US ports without having to stop at a foreign port of call. Unfortunately, the three ships also must have a crew that is 75% American and must meet US minimum wage and overtime wage laws which have created alot of the service problems and higher costs for the Hawaiian operation.

A U.S. law called the "Jones Act," dating from the 1800's requires that all foreign flagged cruise ships dock at foreign port at least once during all cruises. As a result, the NCL Alaska cruises, for example, that originate from Seattle, stop in either Victoria or Prince Rupert, Canada. The NCL Wind (and soon the Sun) have to take a three day, 2000 mile detour to Fanning Island, Republic of Kiribit during their Hawaii cruises and other cruise lines have to stop in Mexico enroute to or from Hawaii. That is why the "Pride" ships are so attractive, they are the only ships that can stay in Hawaii!

Of course both NCL and NCL-A are owned by Star Cruises out of Asia.

I believe there is a huge difference since NCLA is American Flagged most of the crew must be US citizens. NCL is staffed with an international crew. Not saying one is better then the other but very different.

If you want to see several Hawaiian islands in a week nothing better then NCLA. If you want to spend a week on a ship then my vote is for NCL.

Archived