Westerdam 7/16/06 - Qs for HAL / passengers

dance4fun

My wife and I have not cruised in 7 years or so. (Kids' college, wedding, etc. consumed our money!) Things appear to have gotten more casual than in the past. We liked the formal dressing, dancing, and theme nights of past cruises. We have several questions about the 7/16/2006 Westerdam Alaskan Explorer via Glacier Bay itinerary.

1) In the past, we really enjoyed the theme nights on the other cruises. As such we have CW wear, 50's poodle skirt for her, etc. to fit into the theme. Does anyone know if the this cruise sponsors theme nights and if so which nights? We'll dress up even if only 10% of the other people do so.

2) Is there a list of which nights are formal versus informal? We know the number, what we are looking for is the dates. Our plan is to book the Pinnacle Grill on at least one of the casual nights. We'd like to schedule that before getting to the ship. We recognize that the nights can change, but are looking for best guesses here.

3) Is there a list of the expected menu by night? No sense booking Pinnacle Grill on a lobster or fresh salmon night in the dining room.

4) What is the earliest we can show up at the Seattle pier for photo / paperwork processing?

5) We have not been able to find out much about the dancing options on this cruise. Just the mention of the disco. On other crusies, there were also an afternoon tea dance. Any comments on dancing?

6) If disco has limited dancing hours is offered, can we bring a CD or MP3-CD to play during off hours so we can get some dancing in? (It's our exercise, and I need it!)

7) Anyone have a recommendation (pros / cons) on a limo service in Seattle. We were looking to have a car or limo take us from airport to the falls 25 miles east of Seattle to do some sightseeing to kill time from our Las Vagas flight arrival about noon and when the hotel has checkin on the Saturday before the cruise?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Dance4fun

Hi Dance4Fun!

I cannot answer all of your questions, but I will help with the ones I can!

Your formal nights will be Monday and Friday. Your Informal night will be Wednesday. Probably.:) I am on the Oosterdam in two weeks (the day before you sail), which sails on Saturdays, and our formal nights are Sunday and Thursday, with the Informal on Tuesday. So I extrapolated your nights from that. Someone who has been on the Westerdam this summer can correct me if I am wrong.

The only "theme" nights I'm aware of have been in the Crow's Nest after the last show in the lounge, about 11:30PM or a little before. There was a 50s/60s Sock Hop, a Disco night, and a Country night. It went on for an hour or so, then the DJ took over. There was plenty of dancing. The cruise staff dressed for the theme, but I didn't notice a lot of others doing so.

The evening's menu is posted outside the dining room doors during the day. By the time it is posted, however, it may be too late in the day to secure a Pinnacle reservation. Hard to say.

Seattle is probably not ready for embarkation until at least noon. The cruise docs say 1:00PM, but I know they do allow early boarding. Remember that they have to clear out the (unhappy) pax leaving the ship, then get the cabins, etc., ready for the (happy) pax who will be boarding! Call Ship Services 1-800-541-1576 to find out for sure.

Can't be of much help on the dancing. The Daily Program lists "Music and Dancing" for the lounges after about 5:00PM, so if you want to dance before or after dinner, looks as though you can.

The have been several postings about cars/limos in Seattle. Someone will probably see this and respond to you, or you can go to this post on the "Message Boards/Ports of Call/United States" heading of CC. The name of the thread below is "Seattle Transportation from Sea-Tac to Pike Place Market". http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=351791

The Gray Line link on that thread might also provide information about a trip out to Snoqualmie Falls. If you go through the threads on the HAL board, you will find lots of topics on Seattle transportation.

Hope this will be of some help. You haven't long to wait! Have fun!

Hotel check-in will either be 3 or 4 pm depending on the hotel. Check your individual hotel website. If you have a HAL hotel it won't really matter because your transfer will take you right to the hotel and we've never had to wait.

There is a wonderful dinner train for the night before the cruise. Look at it's website www.spiritofwashingtondinnertrain.com.

GN

3) Is there a list of the expected menu by night? No sense booking Pinnacle Grill on a lobster or fresh salmon night in the dining room.

Dance4fun

Lobster will most likely be on your formal nights, which should be on a sea day (Monday) and an early departure from port day (Friday) There will be fresh salmon available on the menu every night, I'm pretty sure.

We were on Westerdam June 11-18

Two formal nights (Monday and Friday) -- Lobster and baked Alaska on Friday -- one informal night (Tuesday, I think)

We had Dutch night complete with Dover Sole and Dutch hats

We embarked with no difficulty at all about 11:30.

Fresh salmon was available EVERY night, at least two presentations, often more

Hope this helps!

Archived