Our Xunantunich Experience

centerpoint

We selected the Carnival excursion to Xunantunich because it was so long and far away. We just didn’t want to take any chances of being late. We were the absolute first group off the ship. We found out the correct pronunciation: “shoe-NAN-tune-itch,” with the accent on “nan.” All the way out, our guide gave a very interesting narrative on her country. Overall, it was an excellent excursion. Historically speaking, it is probably the most significant visit we’ve made. On the way back, we stopped at Windy Hill resort and enjoyed a very good lunch. We made it back to the pier with a little time left for shopping, but not much.

Sounds like a great excursion. We will be leaving on the valor this coming sunday, cant wait! We are doing the same excursion through carnival. We were thinking of doing this through a private group, but it is a long tour and we were afraid we may miss the ship! how long did it take to get from the ship to the ruin? any other details will be greatly appreciated. Also if you have any photos of this excursion?

It was about an hour and 45 minutes, narrated. On the way back, we had a siesta until the very end. I have plenty of pictures, but don't know how to post them. I'd e-mail if you'd like, but they're probably no different than those you can find on the web already (except with my mug in them!).

The excursion was great - you'll enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...
We selected the Carnival excursion to Xunantunich because it was so long and far away. We just didn’t want to take any chances of being late. We were the absolute first group off the ship. We found out the correct pronunciation: “shoe-NAN-tune-itch,” with the accent on “nan.” All the way out, our guide gave a very interesting narrative on her country. Overall, it was an excellent excursion. Historically speaking, it is probably the most significant visit we’ve made. On the way back, we stopped at Windy Hill resort and enjoyed a very good lunch. We made it back to the pier with a little time left for shopping, but not much.

I did this last December & loved it - hurt as I was out of shape & still climbed El Castillo! Was Windy Hill the horse ranch? that is where we stopped. Great narrative & I felt very safe. Had a blast, too. Did very little shopping there -- they had some neat wood items and I bought a bottle of wine.

Did see a lot of poverty and some soldiers but our bus had a/c & comfortable. Won't do it again - want to do the Lost Canopy tour this next time. My kids loved it.

Archived