Costa Maya and Majahual

centerpoint

At Costa Maya, we had excursions booked at noon, so in the morning, we headed out to Majahual for a little shopping. Since we were among the first tourists there, the vendors were all over us, but I’m normally pretty good at handling that. Folks, don’t pay asking price for anything! Start at least half of what they’re asking and work from there. Even then, they'll make money.

My wife and youngest son did the Carnival Dolphin Encounter excursion. They had a great time with it. Thanks for advance notice about photos – you cannot take your own, but theirs is available for $20 each. I and my oldest two, 17 and 14, went on the catamaran sail and snorkel. We had a great time there. Once again, the crew was very friendly, and took good care of us. Drinks on the boat were free: water, soda, or local beer. I’m not a drinker, but it was good to get a diet coke – the first I’d had since leaving Miami!

I need to point this out: because of the criticisms I’d seen on this board about Uvero beach, we chose catamaran sail and snorkel instead, even though we’d wanted to go there and swim and use the kayaks at the beach - and spend time with my wife and younger son after their dolphin encounter. But my wife (dolphin excursion at Uvero beach) said these criticisms were almost completely unfounded in this case. She said the only criticism she did have was that the bathrooms were “marginal.” Also, you have to put up with the drunks on the bus back to the pier. There’s always a few who cross the line. Just a part of life with these things I guess.

Archived