Princess cahnged my gty cabin on Sapphire Alaska

Mooguy

I booked our Alaska Sapphire cruise last year and picked my cabin #D721 (AC) on the starboard side for a N.bound cruise. We got our docs. in the mail a few days ago and I just sat down today to look them over and I see they have moved us to cabin D308 (AB). This looks to be a more central cabin but I am kind of disappointed that I am now on the port side. When I booked the cruise they made a big deal that I needed to book soon if I wanted that starboard side cabin.

I have been tempted to try and move to a covered balcony min suite room but figured it pointless since there is a waiting list only for the outside rooms on this sailing.A

Have you sailed Alaska before? We were on port on the Coral for a SB cruise, and I didn't really notice anything better about that. When you're at sea, you don't necessarily see land. When you're in the fjords, there's land on both sides. Same with Glacier Bay (we were out on deck for the glacier and I think the ship turns around for both sides). In Juneau, you're in a tight harbor with land on both sides. In Skagway, we were up against the dock and there was not too much to see. And Whittier is a small harbor as well.

So, if you're being upgraded to an AB, it may be a good thing. But I know people are very particular about cabin location.

Good luck and have a great cruise!

TA is closed today so I called Princess direct and they told me they had in their history that the cabin was pulled from inventory for repair shortly after I made confirmation but is now listed back in service with people booked in it for our sailing.

I am really surprised they did not call me with this at the time as I may have had a chance to select another mini on starboard or one with a covered balcony.

I'm confused: if you booked guarantee then you would have expected a move, wouldn't you? If you instead booked a specific cabin, that wouldn't be guarantee, right?

I'm new, but trying to figure this out. Once your guarantee becomes a cabin assignment, then you don't expect changes after that, right? I didn't book guarantee because I wasn't completely sure how it worked, but it seemed to remove cabin choice.

We were on the 6/17 Sapphire N.Bound sailing. We too had a portside balcony cabin. It was awsome! There was no detraction being on the "wrong" side on the ship. We saw whales, dolphins, otters, and eagles. We even saw a glacier calfing in glacier bay. Enjoy your upgrade.

I'm confused: if you booked guarantee then you would have expected a move, wouldn't you? If you instead booked a specific cabin, that wouldn't be guarantee, right?

I'm new, but trying to figure this out. Once your guarantee becomes a cabin assignment, then you don't expect changes after that, right? I didn't book guarantee because I wasn't completely sure how it worked, but it seemed to remove cabin choice.

Oops sorry that sounded confusing I was trying to say that I was guaranteed cabin number D721. That is the cabin I chose. The cabin is listed on all of my earlier confirmation material.

I am just surprised that I was not notified earlier about the change since it was a cabin I chose. The person I talked to at Princess was even a bit surprised that I was not called about the change.

I am sure I will still have a good time though and it looks like I am much closer to the lifts and stairs.

From what I've read, "guarantee" room assignments can change more than once and right up until you get on board the ship. If you book a specific room, you need to specify no upgrade or Princess can also change your room (however, they are supposed to notify you or your travel agent and give you the option of refusing the change). Don't worry about side of the ship in Alaska - you won't miss out either way! Have a great trip!

Oops sorry that sounded confusing I was trying to say that I was guaranteed cabin number D721. That is the cabin I chose. The cabin is listed on all of my earlier confirmation material.

I am just surprised that I was not notified earlier about the change since it was a cabin I chose. The person I talked to at Princess was even a bit surprised that I was not called about the change.

I am sure I will still have a good time though and it looks like I am much closer to the lifts and stairs.

Even though you booked a specific cabin, if you don't have "Do not upgrade" marked on your booking, you are open to an upgrade. The default on a booking is that you will accept an upgrade. Your booking confirmation from you TA should have this information. If Princess upgraded you in spite of the "Do no upgrade" on your booking, make sure your TA goes to bat for you and gets your old cabin back. If your TA did NOT have "Do not upgrade" on your booking, then they are at fault and you should take it up with them. If you booked directly with Princess and did not specifically request that you not be upgraded, then there's probably nothing you can do.

Yes it was probably never checked that I did not want anu upgrades but part of the reason I was moved was due to cabin repair they told me not that it matters.

I know before I booked I did some research on these boards and at the time everyone was saying N.bound= starboard S.Bound=port. I think one reason people like the starboard side for the N. bound cruise has to do with the sunrise and being warmer on you balcony in the earlier part of the day.

Archived