Dolphin Swim in Cozumel?

dderm

My adventurous DH has decided to do the dolphin swim while in Cozumel. :eek: Is it better to book it through RCL or through someone like Cozumel Insider? Any comments (good or bad) would be appreciated. Also, how far in advance do we need to book this? We're on the Rhapsody Halloween week.

I went on my own through Dolphin Discovery. It's expensive, but worth it! You might want to compare prices. Chances are the Princess excursion will include transportation to Chankanaab Park as well as admission to the park. I think a cab to the park was $8 (for up to 4 people) and park admission is $12 pp.

The dolphin swim is very popular, and it wouldn't hurt to book it now.

Maybe we'll be in Cozumel at the same time.:D I'm on Carnival's Conquest Halloween week, and I think both Conquest & Rhapsody are in Cozumel on Friday's.

I just booked the Royal Swim. I tried Cozumel Insider first and they were all booked up for 9/26/04 (cruising on Carnival's Elation). I then went directly to Dolphin Discovery and got it. I would book it now if possible. Evidently they fill up fast. It was also cheaper than doing it through the cruise line.

If you're going out of Galveston it is my understanding that Cozumel and Galveston observe the same time zone but make sure the ship you're on does too so that there won't be any stress about getting off and back on the ship in time.

look around and book. This excursions does sell out fast. Make sure you are booking what you want. Too many people are disappointed when they booked a dolphin encounter only to find they wanted to do the swim. (too late)

We booked it directly through Carnival. Probably more expensive that way, but didn't have time to do the research to book on our own. Totally worth every penny! Make sure you book the one where you actualy get to swim with them. My husband wanted to do something else and I had to practically force him to do it with me. He now says it's one of the coolest things he's done.

Hi folks !!!

DDERE .... I agree with DonnaD ;) shoretrips.com have an excellent service and awesome feedback in to many tours here in the Island, included Dolphin Discovery ... or, if you prefer why not send e-m@il to Henry Cahuil? ....Henry as a sales manager here in Cozumel in DD, I absolutely sure they can help you with your reservation ... and maybe .... you can get a better price !!!! :eek: .....or go to http://www.dolphindiscovery.com click in locations and then go to Cozumel ... I hope this help you in your next visit to our Island .... GOOD LUCK !!! upsss!!! sorry for my spelling !!!!:rolleyes:

I've always booked directly with dolphin discovery www.dolphindiscovery.com.

Their web site describes the different activities they have. Do allow lots of time - their activities tend to run a bit long and you'll want to stay and preview the video's afterwards (beleive me!), so book an early enough activity so that you have at least a couple hourse between when you think it will end and when you need to be back to your ship (usually 1/2 hour before publised departure time)

Thanks to everyone for the great advice!:) He has booked the royal dolphin swim so am sure he'll have a wonderful time. I plan to take LOTS of pictures to show his co-workers (he doesn't swim so they don't believe he'll go through with it). If there is a video for purchase after the swim, we'll certainly take advantage of it.

Ninaco: Unfortunately, Rhapsody is on a 5 day instead of its normal 7 day schedule that week so we'll be in Cozumel on Wednesday and will miss you.

Thanks again, everyone - we're counting down the days!!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for the great advice!:) He has booked the royal dolphin swim so am sure he'll have a wonderful time. I plan to take LOTS of pictures to show his co-workers (he doesn't swim so they don't believe he'll go through with it). If there is a video for purchase after the swim, we'll certainly take advantage of it.

I wouldn't want to put a damper on your husband's excitement, but you should be able to swim to do the Dolphin Swim. I'm a weak swimmer, and I had a very hard time with it. You have to be able to swim out to meet the dolphins for some of the tricks. If he can swim, and just chooses not to, he should be fine. But, if he doesn't know how to swim, this could be difficult for him if not impossible for him. FYI, the water is quite deep.

I'm not trying to convince him not to do it! Just want to make sure you're aware of what it involves. :)

I've sent e-mail to Dolphin Discovery but can anyone here tell me if we can just go to the pier @ the park in Cozumel & watch? We're Seniors & that would be the highlite of our cruise! Read someplace, I think, that RCCL has a $10pp juant like that. TIA

I wouldn't want to put a damper on your husband's excitement, but you should be able to swim to do the Dolphin Swim. I'm a weak swimmer, and I had a very hard time with it. You have to be able to swim out to meet the dolphins for some of the tricks. If he can swim, and just chooses not to, he should be fine. But, if he doesn't know how to swim, this could be difficult for him if not impossible for him. FYI, the water is quite deep.

I'm not trying to convince him not to do it! Just want to make sure you're aware of what it involves. :)

Do you have life jackets on? I will be with my wife and 8 year old...just checking if you have to keep yourself afloat the whole time.

Do you have life jackets on? I will be with my wife and 8 year old...just checking if you have to keep yourself afloat the whole time.

They require you to wear a life jacket. You're not in the water the entire time. A fair amount of the time you're standing on a ledge right next to the water. During the tricks part of the excursion, people go into the water with the dolphins one at a time. At the end, there's a swim with the dolphins where everyone's in the water at the same time.

Thanks for the information, NinaCo: I'll pass the swimming suggestion along to my DH - maybe he has time to take swimming lessons before we go. Being desert rats and of a "mature" ;) age, we don't have much opportunity to go swimming (no one we know has a private pool and the local public pools are of course used by all the kiddos). If a major portion of the experience entails standing on a ledge, it might be ok and he can just skip the tricks part of it.

ddeerm,

If he's only going to stand on the ledge, he might want to consider the "Dolphin Encounter" rather than the swim. I watched the Encounter, and it looked a bit boring compared to the Swim. If he can swim, he should be fine. But, if he can't the Encounter could be the better choice because it's much less expensive. The dolphins come over to the ledge a lot more during the Encounter than they do during the Swim because that's what the Encounter is all about.

They require you to wear a life jacket. You're not in the water the entire time. A fair amount of the time you're standing on a ledge right next to the water. During the tricks part of the excursion, people go into the water with the dolphins one at a time. At the end, there's a swim with the dolphins where everyone's in the water at the same time.

Thanks! This is what I was hoping. I know I'll be the one with the camera and anything else they may want to pawn off on me. I didn't want to have to try to swim, hold her and the gear.

you might want to double check, i thought i read at rodells scuba diving site that the dive concessions and dolphin concession at Chakanaab Park had been closed down due to problems with the Mexican IRS.

I heard about the government problem (something about not charging some tax) a week or two ago. But, I read that it was resolved and Dolphin Discovery was operating on their normal schedule. If it was me, I'd probably follow-up and contact them, just to be sure. The phone number to call from North America is 800-293-9698. Or, you can email them at internet.sales@dolphindiscovery.com

I heard about the government problem (something about not charging some tax) a week or two ago. But, I read that it was resolved and Dolphin Discovery was operating on their normal schedule. If it was me, I'd probably follow-up and contact them, just to be sure. The phone number to call from North America is 800-293-9698. Or, you can email them at internet.sales@dolphindiscovery.com

From the good folks at CozumelInsider.com

Hi Dan,

I just spoke with the folks at Dolphin Discovery and I believe there was a "misunderstanding" They said that the dive shops located inside Chankanaab Park were closed for about a week while they got some things corrected (don't know about the details ~ so I don't want to speculate to add fuel to the fire) They are now operational. However, Dolphin Discovery was at no time shut down, nor where their activities suspended, so you and your wife and all that you speak of on the boards can put their minds at ease.

Just as in the states, the news is reported and then each reporter may interpret the facts a bit differently. Thanks for letting me know and if I get a chance I'll go out to the boards as well.

Jacqueline & Sherri [/Quote]

If anyone's interested you can look at my pictures from the link below, follow the links for our Radiance cruise - there are a half dozen pictures or so of my family doing the Royal Swim and another picure or two of Chankanab park.

BTW - They let us go out on the pier and watch and take pictures even though we were not on the encounter. But the rest of our group was on it. I suspect they would let you go if you wanted.

We also found we really enjoyed the open air restuarant at the park. Can't beat the atmousphere and the food was great.

Thanks for sharing the great photos.

Do the Dolphin swim officials allow you to take your own photos of the experience? I thought I read somewhere that they did not allow it to "encourage" you to buy their official photos. It appears you did take you own photos (which is great). Where were these taken from?

Also, in your later photos of the Stingray Lagoon, what type of underwater camera did you use?

Thanks again,

Jim

(Anxiously awaiting our first cruise, Nov 13, 04 - Triumph)

It is my understanding that you are permitted to bring and use your own camera equipment while on the platform area where you first interact with the dolphins. I am not sure if that is the case while you are actually in the water for the 'free swim' portion of your visit.

I do believe that the Mexican government does charge a small fee for permitting the use of video cameras inside their national parks.

I would suggest contacting sherri@cozumelinsider.com with any questions, as they have been a great help to me and my family in organizing our Cozumel excursion.

Considering doing one of the dolphin swim or encounter excursions in Cozumel this August, is the park entrance fee already included in the price you pay, or do you have to pay the park fee ( I think someone quoted $12/PP) in addition to the dolphin fees? Also, are the park fees $12/pp for both adults and children?

Archived