we rented a car in Grand Cayman

nikita

Just back from our Valor cruise where we stopped first at Grand Cayman. Here's my review. My husband and I had reserved a PT cruiser convertable from avis. When we tendered in we went to the Blue Iguana not far from the docking area where we took a shuttle to the car rental area near the airport. No problem - just picked up our car, a map and off we went to Rum Point. A beautiful drive and my DH did a great job driving on the wrong side of the road. The trickiest areas are the round abouts but he managed them well. To Rumpoint it is about a 45 minute scenic drive. We stopped briefly there and then decided to go on and try and find the place where the star fish are. We asked for directions from some locals at a public beach area and we found it. I found out about this place through this Ports of Call board. It is in an area where there are a bunch of palm trees - you can see it from Rum Point if you are facing the beach and look to your left but you will need to drive there. You will know you are in the right area if you get to a point where there is a white statue of Christ with his hands held out. Go through and you will be there shortly - at first it was secluded but about 30 minutes later a few people rode up on bikes. There were a few star fish laying around - the locals told us there used to be a lot more but the "tourist liked them too much". I found that sad. Anyways it was a beautiful beach and seeing the starfish was cool as well. We stayed there about an hour and then went back to Rumpoint. We had lunch and it was really good food and service. Then we went swimming and saw a barracuda swim by and a big conch shell in the water as well - other then that not many fish in this area. But the water is clear and warm! The bathrooms were clean and also showers in and out of the bathrooms. If you are brave enough to drive on the wrong side of the road I recommend doing this - I think our car rental was around $83 for the day. Our kids and friend went on the stingray and City tour through the cruiselines and enjoyed it as well. They saw the Turtle farm, Hell and Stingrays. We had already done that tour and didn't want to repeat but my kids didn't mind going again because my DD boyfriend had never been. The tendering line when we got back to port was the longest I've ever seen - I didn't believe it! I think about a 40 minute wait but what are ya gonna do? We didn’t let this ruin our day! Any questions just ask.

Are you sure you rented through Avis? I was looking at rates this past weekend and couldn't find an Avis on the Island. I was able to get quotes from Budget and Hertz. How did you contact Avis?

We made arrangement at this website: aviscayman.com - there is a place on the website expecially for cruise passengers - just click it and it will give you all the info you need. We picked them because they have a shuttle from the docking area and I don't think anyone else did so very easy. Hope this helps.

We made arrangement at this website: aviscayman.com - there is a place on the website expecially for cruise passengers - just click it and it will give you all the info you need. We picked them because they have a shuttle from the docking area and I don't think anyone else did so very easy. Hope this helps.

thanks nikita!

Archived