Tour with Victor Bodden from Valor

nikita

We just got back from the Valor last week (june 25th-July 2) The 3 teens and I booked with Victor Bodden tours to go to the Iguana farm, and snorkeling. When we got off the ship (no tender here - just wait in line and walk off) we walked out the gate and looked for the sign with our name on it. I didn't see it so turned to my left and started walking and looking - several cab drivers tried to get us to book a tour with them and I still didn't see the sign so I was getting nervous. Finally I asked one of them if they knew Victor Bodden and they said "he's accross the street with the blue cap on". I thought that was nice that they pointed him out to me. There was a guy with a line of people trailing behind him so we just ran up and got in the line. We walked a short ways up the street and he motioned for everyone to get in the van - I asked him if he was Victor and he said "yes". So i asked if my name was on his list and he looked and it was but said I was in the wrong area - he had a walkie talkie and contacted someone who had been waiting for me outside the gate. It was really weird that I missed her! But I just wasn't looking in the right spot and was bombarded with other tours as soon as we got out. So anyways he went to a car and turned on the air conditioner for us and Theresa our guide met us there. One thing I forgot to mention - Roatan the docking area is beautiful - the water that is. It is clear and turquoise and you can see coral beneath. We thought it was breathtaking - the city itself outside the gates is a little 3rd world. Also there were these native dancers that we could watch from our balcony as we pulled in - it was really a great show. Theresa took us to the Iguana farm and along the way she would point out points of interest. One interesting thing is the Mayors mansion. It is beautiful and designed after the white house and Graceland. Also saw a sunken ship which was interesting. The Iguana farm was really cool and amazing. So many Iguanas and you can be hands on with them as well (if you want). They also have a cage with spider monkeys that were lively. They would stick their hand in your pocket and dig for whatever they thought was in there - it was cute and I got some good photos. Also down by the water they have turtles and big fish - also fun to see. They also have some beautiful parrots and other colorful birds. We had to pay $5 each to get in and I think it was worth it. After that we went to a small snorkeling beach. This must be where all the independants take their tours - it was packed with cruise people. Not your white sandy beach that I was looking forward to but I guess a good spot to snorkel. There was also a restaurant there. It was funny because my DD and I went to eat while the boys were snorkeling and we ordered coconut shrimp and the waiter says "no coconut". So then we ordered conch fritters and he says "no conch". He finally tells us that all they have is fish, shrimp, or chicken dishes - with no coconut. That left about 1/2 of what was on the menu but that was ok. My DD ordered fried shimp and I ordered the blackened grouper. It took a very long time to get our orders but my fish was probably the best fish I have ever eaten and worth waiting for. My son and friend came up and shared our meals with us. We didn't dare order more for fear we wouldn't get our food before we had to go. Afterwards my kids wanted to rent kyaks so we inquired and were told $10 for one hour. We got two of them and my DS talked me into going out with him on one, my DD and her boyfriend on the other one. I was looking at the sky and it looked like maybe a thunderstorm was rolling in so I was a little scared but my kids said we can do this and we'll just go in if it gets bad so off we went. We were way out when the clouds came rolling in, the wind started, and the rain was pelting us. I was a more then nervous and scared since the current and wind were going against us trying to paddle in - I was trying to keep an eye on my DD as well. We were the only fools out in the water when this happened. It took a good while for us to paddle in. I kept wondering if they would send someone out to rescue us but no one showed so we just kept paddeling and trying not to fall out. The wind was extremely strong. At least there was no thunder and lightning. Theresa said she got really worried watching us trying to get back - but we made it and my kids were exhilerated by the whole experience (go figure - dumb teenagers!) When I told my DH about it he asked "well didn't you have lifevests on?!" That was the first I ever even thought about it - THEY DID NOT GIVE US LIFEVESTS! My DS and friend are Eagle scouts and didn't even notice. So live and learn! Anyways it is a funny memory now that we are back (and still alive!) After that Theresa took us back to the ship and we said good-bye. We paid $25 each for this all day tour plus entrance fee to the Iguana farm and lunch. I tipped her $20 and she seemed pleased to get it. She was great and my kids really enjoyed her as well. My husbands dive was around $90 (tour from ship) and a two tanker that lasted all day. He said when the storm rolled in they were just coming up from their last dive and some of the people panicked but all made it to the boat. It really was some storm! I enjoyed Roatan but next time I want to go to a white sandy beach which is more my style. And, I really hope there is a next time. I do recommend Victor Bodden tours - he was really nice and friendly and we really had a lot of fun with Theresa who has grown up on the Island and was full of good information. Any questions? Just ask.

Hey Nikita, I was on the same cruise, and I had Victor's driver "Henry." We ran into each other at the iguana farm. I remember Henry introducing us to Theresa.

We were at the zip-lines just before the rain came. We had just jumped into the van. Talk about a nice squall! It was rough, but at least it only lasted a few minutes!

Hey Nikita, I was on the same cruise, and I had Victor's driver "Henry." We ran into each other at the iguana farm. I remember Henry introducing us to Theresa.

We were at the zip-lines just before the rain came. We had just jumped into the van. Talk about a nice squall! It was rough, but at least it only lasted a few minutes!

Wasn't that Iguana farm cool?! Yes, that was quite a storm to be out in the middle of the ocean on kayaks without lifejackets! ha! A funny memory now but it was a bit tense while I was living through it.

Archived