sd/mm card question

I recently purchased a digital camera that came with a free 512 mb sd card. It is not one of the often advertised cards(pny, sandisk). It is a Luxar. Are all cards alike or would I do better purchasing a "brand name" card? The camera is a Canon Power Shot A530 5 mp, 4x optical & 4x digital. Office Max had an error in their on-line ad and I got it for $129. not the $200 everyone else had it for. I am not digital camera savy. Only used a 2 mp HP photosmart 318 in the past. Real Easy to use. Wanted to upgrade a little before my Princess Crown cruise later this month. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Lynn,

I have never found the brand name to be important. There are fast and slow cards. The faster cards are important when using 8mp and up cameras. Your 5mp camera should do fine with this card.

I would suggest getting another card, however. The 512 card may fill quickly on a cruise. The worst place to purchase a card is the ship's photo shop or on shore. The last 512 card I bought was $40. They may be less now.

I have several SD cards, some complete no name brands, some are Sandisk and PNY I also have not found the name to make any difference they all get the job done and I've not had one die. I would recommend a higher speed I have a 150x card by Ritek and it takes pictures so fast compared to my other cards. Newegg.com has great deals on sd cards whether you chose no name or name brands. That's where I got my Ritek/Ridata card.

Archived