1st timers--Checking in? Eating?

shhhhh

This is our first cruise, so I am trying to get prepared. Since it is quite a drive to our cruise leaving out of Mobile, we plan to arrive early (just in case). We will be on the Holiday.

My questions:

1. Will there be food available on the ship at this time or should we eat before boarding?

2. Will our room be available yet or will we have to wait for it to be cleaned like at the resorts?

Thanks for your help :)

As soon as you board, you can go to your cabin to see if it's ready. They say cabins won't be ready until after 1pm; however, I'm usually on board around noon, and my cabin has always been ready. If by chance it isn't, your steward should be somewhere in the area. You can ask him if you can put your carry-ons in the closet, out of his way.

The Lido Buffet will be open when you board. There will be regular meal items on the buffet, as well as hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, salads, pizza, ice cream, and frozen yogurt. You'll find plenty of food to tide you over until dinner, believe me!

You'll be on my favorite ship. Enjoy!:)

Just a heads up that things can happen (usually don't, but can) that will delay embarkation. While we are usually on the ship no later than 12:30pm, we generally eat a late large breakfast ...then get to the port between 10 and 10:30AM.

As Cotton said, there will be plenty to eat once you get onboard...but generally getting onboard isn't until 12 noon or later. Just be prepared. We have a special needs son who has to eat every 2 hours, so I always pack several "snacks" for him in case of a delay.

Have a great cruise!!

They don't let you on board until everything is all set and ready....on deck that is!

Food will be out, music will be playing and drinks will be served.

Your cabin may or may not be ready. On my last cruise mine was not but I found the steward and he said it was OK to leave the carry ons in the closet as previously mentioned.

On your last morning of the cruise you will notice that the staff is quickly preparing for the new arrivals. It is a very busy day for them and in my experience they do a great job....it is sad to see when you are leaving :mad: but wonderful when you are arriving!!

Food, drinks ...yea yea yea...

Wear shorts and light tops or also have your swim suits in your carry on so you can change and get on deck to start vacation before they cast off...

the pool should be full and the beverages will be flowing...besides the deck is where you will have the best views as your dream begins!!!!!!!

Let them wait on you hand and foot........

sail Away....

John

Shhh, some have mentioned the drinks. Yes - waiters will be carrying around trays of lovely tropical beverages. There is a charge for these. (Unfortunately, some folks think that they are complimentary welcome aboard drinks.) Not so.:D

.......the pool should be full.....

Not always the case. On many ships, the pools are empty on the first day, not filled until during the first night when out at sea.

We have boarded both times with a carry-on bag with our swimsuits in them and a change of clothes.

When you board, you are usually sent to the buffet first because the rooms are not ready; however, you can always go and see if your room is ready and put your things inside your cabin. We do this; however, we also make sure we can lock our cabin up before we leave our stuff in there the first day.

Just don't miss the sailaway! We almost did this, because I was in the cabin organizing everything.

Also, it is fun and relaxing to go utilize the free steam, sauna and whirlpools in the spa on embarkation day!

Get ready for a great experience. As you board you will be overwhelmed by what you will see. You will never forget the first time you board a cruise ship. All your needs will be taken care of. More food then you have ever been offered in the past. Great service, entertainment and food all for the taking. Enjoy every minute of it. In most cases your room steward will let you leave your carry on bags in your room even if it is not completely ready.

. (Unfortunately, some folks think that they are complimentary welcome aboard drinks.) Not so.:D

Thanks Cotton, good to know. I'm sure those drinks quickly add up. We ususally do the AI resort where the drinks are included, so this will be quite an adjustment. However, I bet I'll still feel like being in the Caribbean means I should have a drink with an umbrella in my hand at all times.:)

And I sure hope the pool is filled on our first day. That would be such a dissappointment if it wasn't.:( Otherwise, I guess we can just do as kchesneylover suggested and take advantage of the sauna and hot tubs!

I always wear capris instead of shorts on embarktion day. That way, if my luggage is late or lost (which it never has been, but I've heard stories...) I won't be turned away in the dining room at dinner. You can srill wear your bathing suit under it to enjoy the pool too. I've been a Girl Scout Leader for so many years, my personal motto has become "Be Prepared"!:D Have a great time!!!!

I always wear capris instead of shorts on embarktion day. That way, if my luggage is late or lost (which it never has been, but I've heard stories...) I won't be turned away in the dining room at dinner.

Actually, on the first night (only), you will be allowed in the dining room in shorts. This is relaxed only because some don't get their luggage before dinner, but that's rare. For embarkation, I always wear something like capris, as well, so it will be more appropriate for the dining room.:)

Archived