Need suggestions for Jamaica excursions for families...

Can anyone suggest a good family excursion (not too long) for Jamaica. Talked and heard from several people that it's a great place to see, but not safe with the "Mo Bay" hustlers. If anybody has some experience with this port, I'd appreciate your input.

We hired an independant tour company (A-Z Planners) who customize whatever you want to do. They met us off the ship and took us to climb Dunns River's Falls, tubing down the White River, then shopping and eating/drinking at Margaritaville...lots of fun! My kids are older (16 & 20), but we saw lots of young kids along the way. The falls are more challenging than I thought! I highly recommend A-Z.:o

Hi chp3ril.....we did a tour with Phil Lafayette in Jamaica. Here's his website.

www.phil-lafayette-tours.com . He picked us up at the pier and took us in his air conditioned van to climb Dunn's River Falls and then tubing down white river. (and, yes, an 8 y/o and 10 y/o would have a blast doing both the falls and the river). The group we were with only had 3 other people in it. Phil is great. Very entertaining and proud of his country. He's very flexible as to what you want on your tour with him. He took us to Dunn's River Falls early in the morning to beat the crowd. It was the highlight of our vacation! I highly recommend Phil! Enjoy!

I would take your family either on a tour or a taxi to the falls, we did it over 10 years ago and it is still a great memory. How many times do you get to walk UP a waterfall. The kids will have a blast.

If you are going to MoBay, then dunn's River is a very long trip (2 hrs one way). You could go to sunset beach Hotel. The beach is there. They have two waterslides and a lazy river. Adults $40.00, children $20.00. All you can eat and drink. It's a day pass at this resort. Come and go when you want. No vendors here. Have fun.

Read on the jamaica boards, lots of good independent people to give you great tours. WE are using Trevor Hudgins and he is doing tubing, tour of Ochios rios, fern gully, beach and then dropping us at Margaritaville. Our kids will be 11 and 10 and I have done Dunes River Falls and think that even if younger kids are there, it does not mean it is easy and fun for them. I personally think it is too hard and takes too much out of them. Always can do it another time on another cruise when they are older. We picked the tubing because it is safe and sounds easy for the kids. The tubes are enclosed bottoms. Have fun.

Since going to Dunn's River Falls is such a long trip from MoBay you may want to consider going with a ship excursion. At least if you go with an RCCL excursion you know the ship will wait on you if you get back a little late.

I think this is very good advice. When you're going to be 2 hours away from the ship, it might be a good idea to go with one of their shore tour packages. If not, please watch the time VERY carefully, and I'd recommend giving yourself a large time cushion to get back to the ship. There is nothing worse than missing the ship, except maybe missing it while stuck in Jamaica. Not that it isnt a lovely island, but I would not want to be stuck near that pier for any longer than I possibly needed to...

Another vote for the River tubing... my wife and I have done it 3 times now and would do it again on our next visit. No problems with the Children either. The river is slow and fairly shallow.

Archived