Playa Mia Beach or Passion Island Beach

Terri102066

Just from what others have posted on this board, Passion Island has a nice beach,bar and restaurant. Playa Mia has many activity areas such as pool, restaurant , kids playground etc...It probably has better snorkeling just because of it's location.

If you do a search of this forum for each, you will find numerous posts.

The two places could not be more opposite. Passion Island (really a penisula) is totally quiet and pretty much a private area. There isn´t much to do other than relax, eat, drink and enjoy the gorgeous water and beach. It is only accessible via cruiseship tour. They have some S shaped lounge chairs and not much else. Playa Mia is very crowded...water toys, jet skies, pool, restaurant, bars. The beach area is public and alot of people go. It is a loud setting.

The two places could not be more opposite. Passion Island (really a penisula) is totally quiet and pretty much a private area. There isn´t much to do other than relax, eat, drink and enjoy the gorgeous water and beach. It is only accessible via cruiseship tour. They have some S shaped lounge chairs and not much else. Playa Mia is very crowded...water toys, jet skies, pool, restaurant, bars. The beach area is public and alot of people go. It is a loud setting.

We were at Passion a few years back and loved it! One of the things that I really enjoyed was just floating around on my mat in the beautiful water! It was heaven! From what I have read, they no longer have the mats. Do you know if they are going to get them again? That would be great! Also, at the time we were there, there were no s shaped lounge chairs. There were no lounge chairs at all. The one thing that I don't like about Playa Mia beach is those darned s shaped lounge chairs. Do you think they will ever have regular lounge chairs with umbrellas to rent? I think that would be a great addition for this beautiful beach!

Cruzn

They have a new owner now so no telling what changes will be made. There haven´t been floats out there in a long time. And the only chairs are those back breaking S ones. No umbrellas either but you can go up away from the beach and get some shade under the trees...but there are alot fewer than before Wilma.

I found out there will be 4 cruise ships in port the day we go to Cozumel (thanksgiving week) SO it sounds like these 2 places will be really crowded since they are offered as excursions???

Are we better off going to another beach?

Playa Mia seems crowded all the time regardless of how many ships. And the time you spend at Passion Island is relatively short so...why not consider Paradise Beach. I've been there on days where there were 7 ships on the same day and the crowds were fine...yes there were people but PB beach area is so large, people can spead out and you are not elbow to elbow with the people next to you. Great food, great beach, great beverages.

Archived