Southampton to London

We are going on a cruise leaving and returning to Southampton. Our flight back home is not until 8:30 pm. Does anyone know if there is anything to see between Southampton and Heathrow? We are thinking of hiring a private guide for the day to pick us up at the pier and then bring us to Heathrow. We will be in London precruise so we were trying to think of other things to see.

Thanks for any suggestions.

You may find more answers on the British Isles/Western Europe board....just scroll up and click.

A search there might be helpful, also.

Enjoy!

Pincus

I thought this was the Britain board?

Anyway, travelgirl I can't help you much as I am just beginning to research the UK myself having booked my first ever trip there and cruise out of Southampton for next August (2007).

With a private hire you might have more flexibility. Besides the Maritime Museum in Southampton there doesn't appear to be a lot there. I've heard mixed reviews on whether Stonehenge is worth it or not but if its on the way to anywhere and you have a car then maybe its worth a shot. Salisbury and Bath are supposedly wonderful day trips. Hopefully, locals or those who visited frequently will help you out and I can learn as well.

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy your stay in the UK! :)

Anyway, travelgirl I can't help you much as I am just beginning to research the UK myself having booked my first ever trip there and cruise out of Southampton for next August (2007).

With a private hire you might have more flexibility. Besides the Maritime Museum in Southampton there doesn't appear to be a lot there. I've heard mixed reviews on whether Stonehenge is worth it or not but if its on the way to anywhere and you have a car then maybe its worth a shot. Salisbury and Bath are supposedly wonderful day trips. Hopefully, locals or those who visited frequently will help you out and I can learn as well.

It is, Bramcruiser!

After my note, the Board Leader appears to have moved it from the Europe Board.

Pincus

Hello, you are correct in that there's not a great deal to see in Southampton (with apologies to residents of the city). Winchester is worth a visit (beautiful cathedral), but Bath would be top of my list; it's only about 65 miles away, has hop on/hop off open top buses, and is absolutely beautiful (I've just come back from there).

Have a great trip, and don't forget your mac and umbrella.

Regards, Mary

Archived