Coral World St Thomas

Butchde

Has anyone been to Coral World in St Thomas the web site makes it sound great but I read somewhere it wasn,t so good We will be on AOS in July and were going to go there but now not so sure Thank You

We visited CW in '05, & had a good time. It was smaller than we'd expected, with just a couple small buildings & some nice paths & outdoor ray pool; snack bar with nice view, gift shop. One bldg. is cool, as it's out over the ocean. Since we had coupons & just walked the short distance from where we were snorkeling at Coki Beach, it didn't seem a waste. If you go expecting anything like a "big time" aquarium, you'll be disappointed. Lots of iguanas around, too.

We just went to Coral World. It was fine-nothing great. there are tanks, a touch pool. Some of the buildings are pretty rundown. coki Beach is right next door which is nice. My kids liked Coral World but you will be there an hour tops.

staceymom- thanks for the description of Coral World. Since you only stayed an hour, what did you do for the rest of the day? We want to go to a beautiful beach, with possible snorkeling, chairs, food and drink. What I really want to do is find somewhere that has water-skiing....any ideas? Thanks for the information!

Cindy

staceymom- thanks for the description of Coral World. Since you only stayed an hour, what did you do for the rest of the day? We want to go to a beautiful beach, with possible snorkeling, chairs, food and drink. What I really want to do is find somewhere that has water-skiing....any ideas? Thanks for the information!

Cindy

We actually spent the rest of the day on Coki beach which was nice. You can get chairs for $10. There is food also , although we didn't eat. Then we went shopping at the port.

We had two hours at Coki Beach as part of Godfrey's tour, and opted for Coral World because our oldest son had injured his eye and wasn't sure about swimming. The kids enjoyed the touch tank, ray pool and the shark pool (we were there for feeding time and one of the staff divers brought around a juvenile shark so the kids could touch her). There's also an area where there's a lot of good-sized iguanas. The underwater observation area was good.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the Coral World shore excursion from the Caribbean Princess, on July 11, 2006, with our two girls (10yrs and 7yrs). Coral World itself was enjoyable and worthwhile - we enjoyed the 360 degree tank, the undersea tank, the self-touch areas, the shark pool, the sea turtles, and the smaller tanks in the museum-style area. Also, there are a huge number of iguanas in the trees, which we didn't even notice until reading the sign about them! That was very cool.

My advice is -

• Go to Coral World, it was a fun side trip.
  • Go yourself - skip the cruise ship excursion, for three reasons -
    • Princess charged us $46/$37 each (adult/child), but I think the direct admission is only around $18, and I saw on this thread that the taxi ride would have only been around $9 each.
    • We were only allowed to stay for 90 minutes. Personally, our family could have easily stayed 2-3 hours - we felt rushed at the end.
    • Coki Beach is right next door, you can move over and spend a good chunk of your day there if you're on your own.

Archived