European River Cruise ???

happycruizer

We are planning on doing a Euro River Cruise in Sept. or Oct. of 2008.............how far in advance did you book? Is is best to book the pre/post hotels when you book your cruise or make reservations on your own? How is the weather in September? Please share any TIPS you think will be helpful in our planning.

Thanks in advance for your help.:)

Hi Happycruizer:

we wanted to booked our first cruise in spring for a date in August and we were way too late. Our preferred itinerary was sold out and we had to settle with a different one --- the Legendary Danube aboard the Symphony. We were lucky to get on. Our second European River cruise we booked about a year in advance, which was good because we could choose without a problem the cabin we wanted. The best part however were the huge discounts we got because of the early reservation we made. All cruise lines are giving early booking discounts but we booked through UET (www.uet.com) because their discount was the best. They also did not require full payment, but a deposit only. I would say right now is a good time thinking about making reservations for 2007. HOWEVER 2008 is a little too far out. You don't even know what programs will be available since brochures and itineraries come out at the earliest 12 months prior to the cruising season. Get ready and into action at around this time next year ! --- tban

We are planning on doing a Euro River Cruise in Sept. or Oct. of 2008.............how far in advance did you book? Is is best to book the pre/post hotels when you book your cruise or make reservations on your own? How is the weather in September? Please share any TIPS you think will be helpful in our planning. Thanks in advance for your help.:)

We booked June 5th for Oct. 15th this year when we received a 2/1 offer from Viking. We were able to get a mid-ship cabin on the deck we wanted without any problem. The cruise is from Budapest to Amsterdam.

Weather will depend on where you are cruising. The later part of September you will see a cool down in temperatures most places. Weather dot com, other weather sites, and some of the cruise lines can provide this information for you.

When we went on our first river cruise, we tried to book in the Spring, not sure exactly what month for the end of Aug. and the line that we inquired about was all booked, so we tried another and got reservations. Now we usually book about 10-11 months ahead. Just depend on the cruise and time of year. Some sell out faster. You have to remember that these ships don't have a lot of cabins. The ones I've been on range between 120 -160 passengers. Usually you can put a down payment down and final isn't due for a long time if you book early. Also I always buy insurance so if I would have to cancel I could get reimbursement.

Thanks to all of you for your kind replies. The recommendation from "tban" is exactly what I had in mind but I was wondering which was better.....booking early vs. later. I want to give myself plenty of time to compare prices/what is included on differant lines so I can be ready should any "good deals" become available. I regularly get updates from Viking but plan on also looking at Vantage, Avalon, etc. We're looking at cruises in the areas of Germany, Austria, Prague, Switzerland & Belgium but have not narrowed down exactly which ones. Having chosen these areas I suppose, weather wise, early Sept. would be more desireable that late Sept.

Did all of you use the extended stay hotel option offered by the cruise lines?

We are somewhat last minute travelers as compared to most who do book way in advance. We booked our Christmas Market cruise taken last December, only a couple of months ahead. We are now looking at booking a cruise for October and with one exception are finding openings.

Last December, our tour was Prague-Vienna and we were coming in a day earlier. We had Uniworld just go ahead and book the extra day hotel for us. Then I contacted the hotel directly to give them our member # (if you have one), and get upgraded room, etc.

We did the Poetry budapest to amsterdam late sep 2005 for 14 nites. We booked spring of 2005 and we were limited in cabin choice. We had very nice weather (one day with rain and hail in Salzburg). Take layer type clothes as it can be warm one day and chilly the next. On our trip the weather tended to the warmer side.

It was a great trip - lots to see and with most tours included our shipboard account was very small - just some before dinner drinks, phone calls home for a small emergency and the optional salzburg tour. We are booked for June 2007 on Celebrity. The upfront costs are less but I expect the excursions to add quite a lot with this port intensive cruise.

skandls:

we are going from Amsterdam to Mainz September 16th -23rd this year. Can you give me an idea of what you mean by "warm" and "chilly".

thanks

Being from So Cal Chilly was in the 60's (only a couple of days were that cold). Warm was low 80's (only a short time during the day). Mostly we had great weather (highs in the 70's) and good river levels. We looked up the average temps on the web site from the last post. Just be prepared to layer and unlayer when necessary.

Archived