Back from Zenith 7/1 with 3 kids

masha99

We will be on the Zenith in September -- we have much cruise experience but this is our first on Celebrity so anything that you can answer would be appreciated

1 -- what time can we expect to be able to board in New Jersey?

2 -- we have a mac laptop and are used to picking up wi-fi in cruise ship hot spots rather than using cruise line machines as we can then compose off-line and save many $ on our internet access time. Is there wi-fi on the Zenith and is it mac compatible? or should we just leave the laptop at home.

Thanks in advance!

Celebrity's documents say you should not even arrive until 1:30. We arrived around 12:15 and were able to board immediately. Our cabin was ready, even though it contained a "welcome aboard" letter informing us that it would not be until 1:00 (still 30 minutes before passengers are supposed to begin arriving!).

Unfortunately, wireless access is not available aboard ZENITH. The on-board internet terminals are very old, installed during the ship's major refit in 1999., but they work well enough. The charge is a relatively reasonable $0.50 per minute.

I brought my PowerBook along but just to download photos to. I thought I would try to find a wireless hot-spot in Bermuda but never bothered to ask...

Boarding in NJ is a breeze, and the people are extremely nice. My DH had to go back for the baby's passport, and they were very helpful getting him through in a hurry when he got back. The luggage process is very efficient and you can drop it off first and go back to park.

I made it to the room before noon and it was ready. However, there were no people on the ship before us so they had more time to prepare. I would imagine if it's 2 sailings back to back they may ask you to wait.

Thanks Doug and Masha99 for the quick response to my questions. Sorry that there is no wi-fi but I am flexible. Will probably skip the laptop this trip and download photos to the i-pod for backup. The ipod is smaller and travels better.

I was also very surprised that there was no wi-fi on ZENITH. Almost all major lines have it these days even on their "old" ships.

I need to carry my notebook with me since I don't have an iPod. (Imagine that - a Mac user who doesn't have an iPod! And you thought there were none ;) !)

Make it three. I must be getting old since I have no desire to get one:) Actually I found it refreshing to be totally cut off from the Internet and e-mail for a week. Of course, I had about 50 messages waiting when I got back :eek:

Archived