Cabin Upgrades

trvllover

This will be my first time traveling on Carnival. What are the possibilities of getting a cabin upgrade/category upgrade when you check in? If the ship is not full, is it possible to get an upgrade or 2? What has been your experience?

Most ships sail full these days. If there is availability at the pier they will be more than happy to sell you an upgrade. My advice is to pick a guaranty cabin in the lowest category you would be happy with and then hope the upgrade fairy visits you. DH and I really don't care where we are on the ship so we book an inside guaranty (4A). Most times we've been upgraded to an inside on a higher deck and once to an ocean view. Don't book a 4A guaranty knowing you'll be disappointed if you don't get the VIP suite. While I'm sure it occasionally happens, its not the norm.

Hi, this is my 2nd time booking a guarantee, that is, I booked a oceanview guarantee on the Conquest a couple yrs ago, and was upgraded to a balcony, this time I booked a balcony guarantee 8A and was upgraded to an 8C. I dont know if they will upgrade again at the pier. the first time , thats what they did, upgraded at the pier, but this time it was already upgraded in my docs.

Does anyone know if they ever upgrade again at the pier, once you have already been upgraded? TA told me not to book anything guarantee that you wont be happy with, that is, the WORST room you get will be what you got for the guarantee, in other words, we booked a 8A guarantee, so thats the Worst room they can give us, its only better from there, they can give you a better room, but not a worse room than your guarantee. (geesh, was that confusing?)

Anyway, a bad day of cruising is still better than ...well, just about anything else!

Triumph 7/2002

Legend 7/2003

Conquest 6/2004

Victory 8/2006

I've been on other cruise lines where they have bumped me up a category or 2 because they were not full. Like I said, I've never sailed on Carnival, so this will be new for me. I'm already booked for this trip, and won't be disappointed if I'm not bumped up. Just wondering. Thanks.

What are the possibilities of getting a cabin upgrade/category upgrade when you check in? ?

Zero, Ziltch, nope and never, I already asked when I went onboard just to see what they would say, they do not do upgrades onboard. What ever cabin you got is final.

If you booked a guaranty they can change your cabin right up until the time of sailing. On our Miracle cruise we booked an inside guaranty. When we left home the day before the website showed us in an inside cabin, but on the Empress deck. When we got to the pier we found we'd been upgraded to an ocean view, so it can happen.

If you are upgraded at the pier, chances are, that upgrade has already been in their system. You will notice they will have a sign that says "SHIP FULL, NO UPGRADES AVAILABLE".. seen it on every cruise. If you want an upgrade, you'll likely need to pay for it if you don't get what you want with your guarantee... People take the info they "creatively find" on the website as gospel.. and it's not always the case. If it's not on your docs, wait and see what you get at the pier. If you don't want to wait, I'd pay for the upgrade.

If you want an upgrade, call now and see if there is one you can purchase. You won't be able to do that at the pier.

Upgrades are sometimes given to Guarantee passengers, but you don't have to ask, it just happens if you are lucky.

We booked an IS guarantee on the Miracle and today..68 days before the cruise I found out that we have been upgraded to a 7A...obstructed balcony using the Fun Pass / Gift technique....it's not normally my "luck" but obviously these things do happen.

Happy Sailing...

Archived