What is the safest and cheapest ....

Fun~N~Sun

What is the safest and cheapest time of the year to cruise? I do not want to have to worry about hurricanes but I definitely want it to be warm. Thinking about the Western Caribbean this time. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Guest YesitDonna

If you are looking for warm weather, a decent price and no hurricanes.. the first week in May. I have cruised that week a number of times as you can see by my signiture. If you go to early then it is chilly or you have all the school vacation weeks and spring breaks. Summer is generally more expensive, fall is cheaper but then you have the hurricane thang! lol

I've usually found when price checking, the cheapest cruises are the ones between the Thanksgiving and Christmas cruises. We've gone in Feb., March, and April, so I can't really tell you what the weather in the Caribbean is like in early December.

Hurricane season is HALF THE YEAR, June 1st thru Nov.30th. In that period are both the most expensive times to cruise[J,J,A] (schools out) and least expensive times[s,O,N](kids are back in school). Hurricane season usually peaks in August and Sep.

Jan., Feb., Mar., are the next cheapest times to cruise, sometimes matching Sep, Oct, and Nov. And the cheapest cruises of all on a cost per day basis are "repo" cruises but they are usually 2 weeks or more long.

The major risk from a hurricane is getting to or from the home port. Once on the ship it will stay well away from any severe weather.

Dan

We have gotten great deals the first or second week of Feb before winter break week. The weather is perfect 80-85 degrees and little humidity. This is the time of year that USED to be the most expensive before cruising became a family thing.

Archived