Seabourn employment

thulewx

I have a friend here who is extremely interested in going to work for Seabourn. He's an excellent bartender with that service-oriented mindset that makes me think he'd be an asset to Seabourn. He's a Danish citizen, several years experience in bartending and waiting, and completed European-style restaurant education. I realize I can't make a specific recommendation to Seabourn since I'm still awaiting my first trip with them, but feel I understand the Seabourn mindset (having cruised on most other brands, top to bottom). I told him he could use me as a reference (for what little good it would do :( ).

Any other ideas of what might help this motivated man get closer to landing a position with Seabourn?

There is an employment link on the Seabourn website but, as in many cases, it helps to know someone already there. I have a friend who found a job on another cruiseline by talking to the crew and staff while cruising as a passenger.

Just a word of warning.

Seabourn are not the best line to work for. Pay is not too bad compared with other cruise lines but your friend would be better off with a line that pays in Euros or pounds.

I left Seabourn because I got the message my father was dying and had to leave in an emergency. I ended up staying an extra two days because they had nobody to cover for me (despite me only being two weeks short of the end of my 3rd contract) and flew home from New York, arriving home 10am the next day with my father dying 10pm tha night so I just got home in time. Not only did I have to pay for my own airfare home but they charged me for the airfare of the person coming out to replace me as well. I basically went home with nothing in my pocket from several months work.

To give you a comparison, a couple of weeks after I started working for P&O my Grandmother died. P&O said they would fly me home to go to the funeral then bring me back, re-arrange all the shows so nobody would have to miss out etc. This is only after 2 weeks of working for the company. As it was I didn't go home because I had promisd my Gran I wouldn't if she were to pass away but it remains that the P&O were ready to go to great lengths to look after their employees whereas Seabourn treat them really badly.

There is a nice family atmosphere on Seabourn but you will be worked to the bone and don't expect any sympathy if you have to fly home in an emergency. Tell your friend there are much better employers out there.

Phil

Funny, I just had a conversation about employment on Seabourn compared to other lines, with a Seabourn bar waiter. He has worked for several of the other lines for many many years, and wouldn't dream of leaving Seabourn. He claimes the atmosphere and attitude on the ships can't be beat.

Glass is half full or half empty, I guess. There is always more than one point of view!

Host Dan

Funny, I just had a conversation about employment on Seabourn compared to other lines, with a Seabourn bar waiter. He has worked for several of the other lines for many many years, and wouldn't dream of leaving Seabourn. He claimes the atmosphere and attitude on the ships can't be beat.

Glass is half full or half empty, I guess. There is always more than one point of view!

Host Dan

A lot of it depends on what job you do on the ship. I did enjoy working for them while I was there and I agree that the atmosphere is very good. The fact there are only 200 guests makes for a real family feel. That all said, ask your friend if he feels the same way about the company after he has to go home in an emergency. That is when they show what they really think of their employees.

Archived