Getting to dinner train from downtown Seattle

Hi,

We just booked a pre cruise trip on the Spirit of washington dinner train out of Renton Washington. We are staying at the Fairmont Olympic downtown Seattle. Would someone please offer advice on the best way to get to Renton. Also estimate of distance and time to get from hotel to a 5:45pm train boarding. The train reservation agent just mumbled something about public transportation and that most of the area hotels have shuttles. The fairmont website was not very helpful either.

Thanks in advance,

Grannynurse

Hi,

We just booked a pre cruise trip on the Spirit of washington dinner train out of Renton Washington. We are staying at the Fairmont Olympic downtown Seattle. Would someone please offer advice on the best way to get to Renton. Also estimate of distance and time to get from hotel to a 5:45pm train boarding. The train reservation agent just mumbled something about public transportation and that most of the area hotels have shuttles. The fairmont website was not very helpful either.

Thanks in advance,

Grannynurse

It's about 12 miles from downtown. Traffic can definately be a problem. I am taking a friend next week and have to plan accordingly to get down to the station for 5:45 boarding as well but will not be heading there from downtown. I would check with your hotel but most dont offer shuttles for more than the airport or a central downtown location. You might have to take a taxi which would probably run about $25-30 (not sure what the rates are currently up to with the gas prices etc and depending if you are sitting in traffic or not since the meter still ticks away). Not sure about busses but you can call Metro at 206-553-3000. They offer a service where you tell them where you are, where you need to go and the time and they tell you what bus and where to catch it, etc.

Thank you FozzyFoz. Will you please post your opinion of the dinner train when you get back?

It sounds wonderful but I always have such high expectations and don't want to be disappointed. I waited a year and dreamed about the polar excursion in Tromso Norway believing all the company's descriptions. It was shlocky, touristy, and downright laughable, but it was my one fault for being gullible.

Thanks again,

GN

My husband and I have taken the Spirit of Washington Dinner Train twice. We really enjoyed the trips. The food is good and the train is fun. If you let me know what you are looking for in the trip and/or your expectations, I could answer some specific questions that would give you more insight.

I can say it is a nice trip. It is not a great, romantic, trip through breathtaking scenery type of trip. It is a really nice, fun, relaxing dinner and ride on a train.

As for public transportation? The Puget Sound area simply does not have a very good public transportation system outside downtown Seattle. It might be possible to find a bus, but I doubt it would be a direct route and riding a public bus to your nice dinner would really not go along with the mood. If you do not have a rental car, it would seem a taxi would be your only option.

Some questions: Are you signed up for a 2 person or 4 person table? Do you have dome or floor seating? What are you looking for in the trip? What do you what and what do you not want from this outing?

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you FozzyFoz. Will you please post your opinion of the dinner train when you get back?

It sounds wonderful but I always have such high expectations and don't want to be disappointed. I waited a year and dreamed about the polar excursion in Tromso Norway believing all the company's descriptions. It was shlocky, touristy, and downright laughable, but it was my one fault for being gullible.

Thanks again,

GN

Almost forgot to follow-up. We ended up not taking the dinner train - we were on a tight schedule and by the time we were ready to make reservations the day we wanted was booked.

Thanks Fozzyfox, sorry you didn't get to go.

We're considering the Blackstone Limo service for transporpation from the Fairmont to the train and back. Do you have any experience with them or knowledge of them ?

GN

We've never used them. The car services we've used locally are Eastside Executive, A&A Limo and Redmond Town Car. We were not originating in Seattle but on the Eastside so the companies I mentioned were priced better for us. So far Eastside Executive has given us the best service and price out of the 3 and will probably be the one we use from now on unless we encounter a problem with them.

Thanks Fozzyfox, sorry you didn't get to go.

We're considering the Blackstone Limo service for transporpation from the Fairmont to the train and back. Do you have any experience with them or knowledge of them ?

GN

We've never used them. The car services we've used locally are Eastside Executive, A&A Limo and Redmond Town Car. We were not originating in Seattle but on the Eastside so the companies I mentioned were priced better for us. So far Eastside Executive has given us the best service and price out of the 3 and will probably be the one we use from now on unless we encounter a problem with them.

I had always wanted to take the dinner train also. We live in the area, so it has been something that was easy to just put off doing. So, when we had friends visiting from California we decided to go. We had a good time, but it just wasn't as good as I had hoped.

We had booked the vista dome section for the best view. The train tracks could definitely use a bit of work as it was pretty rough and bouncy. A couple of the members of our group started feeling a bit motion sick, so do plan on taking something if you have a problem with this. It had been many, many years since I have been on a train and had forgotten how bouncy it can be in rough areas.

The dinner train has been having some financial problems and there was talk about it being discontinued. Apparently though they have rallied and it is still in operation with no talk right now of it disappearing.

Just be prepared. Don't have high expectations and you won't be disappointed. We had a beautiful evening so the view of the lake was nice and our time at the Columbia Winery for those that had never been. To me it is one of those things that you do it once and that is enough, but glad you did it.

A limo service will be the best way to go. Public transportation in the greater Seattle area is almost non-existent.

Hulagirl

Archived