Flight time out of LAX

need to get away

I know this question has been asked a bunch of times but for some reason I can't get the search feature to work.

We are going to be getting off the Diamond in LA on a Sunday and are wondering what is the earliest we should plan our flight back home. Specifically, wondering if an 11am flight is planning to early. Any feedback from those who have prior experienec would be great!

Thanks!

Earliest I would book a flight home from LAX is noon. Yes, it's always possible that the ship will start disembarkation at 8AM and you can be one of the first off the ship if you have an early flight. However, all it takes is one person who hasn't completed their Immigration form to hold up the disembarkation process. Let's say disembarkation doesn't start until 9AM (a real possibility). It then takes you 20 - 25 minutes to get off the ship and through Immigration and pick up your luggage. Then, you get your transportation to LAX. Unless you grab a cab or have reserved a van just for yourselves, it'll take another 10 - 15 minutes to get in a van or coach and be on your way. Allow at least 30 minutes to get to LAX, much more if there's traffic or an accident on the freeway. So... with that timing, it's now after 10AM and you still have to check in for your flight, go through Security and get to your gate. That can take another 30 - 45 minutes. Are you comfortable arriving at the gate as they're calling the last passengers?

For me, I would never book a flight out of LAX after a cruise leaving before Noon and preferably 12:30PM. Yes, I've had times when everything went smoothly and I was there by 10:30AM and had two hours to kill. But when I am, I'm thankful that I haven't had to worry or stress out about making the flight.

Colo Cruiser...you have been very lucky!

Pam in MA is right on with her information. I live here in LA and wouldn't recommend a flight before noon. I know what can happen. Our port immigration agents can be quite slow, our freeways are busy, and LAX is unpredictable. Play it safe...your nerves will thank you.

The bottom line is that to make a 10:40AM or 11:00AM flight, absolutely everything would have to go right; plus, you'd have to make a mad dash to be one of the first off the ship.

I've been in a van in the HOV lane passing literally miles of backed-up traffic or been in Immigration lines getting off the ship that took over 25 minutes to go through to know that you just can't count on things going smoothly. LAX can be a nightmare to check into and go through Security. You just don't know ahead of time. I'd rather relax, have a 2nd cup of coffee, get off the ship and not be stressed out after a wonderful vacation. It's not worth it to me. Not at San Pedro, but I've seen people literally crying and begging to get off the ship because there were delays and they'd made their flight plans too tight. They were not allowed off the ship.

Pam I am traveling with my father and he is worried about getting to the airport (which he strongly dislikes) on time. We are scheduled for a 12:30 flight and I was wondering what you would recomend would be best to do, wait and take a cab or schedule a vehicle be there to takes us there. We are not real used to busy places, not many here in northeastern Maine, and I would like to calm him down so he can enjoy his cruise.

I know this question has been asked a bunch of times but for some reason I can't get the search feature to work.

We are going to be getting off the Diamond in LA on a Sunday and are wondering what is the earliest we should plan our flight back home. Specifically, wondering if an 11am flight is planning to early. Any feedback from those who have prior experienec would be great!

Thanks!

Have you checked availability and cost for flights from Long Beach....smalled and closer airport.

Archived