? about crusing and golf

Jfeasel

We're sailing on the Aug. 5 PofAM. Husband wants to golf. Has anyone booked golf independently? I've found TeeTimesHawaii.com where they have discounted rates on tee times. Has anyone used any other service? The prices if we book through the ship are kind of high. Thanks.

I will be on the POH (July 31) and would also like to play a round of golf, without breaking the bank. You might want to try Standbygolf.com They also have a toll free number (888)645-2665. Allows you to schedule golf the same day or next day at a discount. Website has a list of courses available on each island.

When considering the cost of a golf trip, remember to add in the cost of a rental car. If the entire party is golfing, then the rental would be worth it. If not, consider how the golfer would get there. Would the party drop off and pick up? or would they have to take a taxi or shuttle if available. Many resorts have courses attached to them and MAY have shuttles from the airport.

Anyway, since we live here, I can help with courses but not with excursions.

My husband always considers Poipu Bay on Kauai the best golf course he has played in Hawaii. We have played alot around Oahu. I would have to ask him about Maui and the Big Island.

What level are you at? What is your price range? Are you military (or someone in the party) because that opens a whole new level of courses and costs? There are a lot of courses on Oahu that are very reasonable in price.

Suebee,

It will just be my husband golfing, the rest of our party of 11 have arranged for private excursions outside of the ship (it was cheaper for our large group) so he'll be on his own for transportation. So even though we've found cheaper teetimes online at the exact same courses offered through PofAm, he'd still have to pay for a taxi to get himself there so it might be better just to book through the ship.

On Oahu he was thinking of playing the Hawaii Prince because it has transportation from our hotel (Hilton Hawaiian Village). On Maui he'd love to play at Kapalua. On Kaui I think we'd take your husband's advice and play Poipu Bay. Poipu Bay is $135 online and $225 through the ship which is a HUGE difference but we don't know how he would get from the ship to the course if he booked it online.

Well, the Poipu one's price online might lend your husband to rent a car. He would still come under the excursion price and have more freedom. Another one to look at on Kauai is Princeville.....Hubby loved that one too.

On Maui, he had played a few but didnt remember Kapalua. He remembers Makena being really nice and having mountain and ocean views. The Hawaii Prince with the transport through the hotel is a good bet.

Have you tried contacting Poipu bay or others for transport options? Poipu bay is only about 15 miles to port and maybe they would do a pickup or offer some other option? Maybe the nearby Marriot or Sheraton has a shuttle you can snag? Just thoughts.

Archived