Sailing the Virgins to Buck Island

steveaaaa

Any info from any one who has taken this tour would be appreciated. I read that it is limited to 6 people on private boats. I wonder how big the boats are,how the seas are, how much actual sailing do you get to captain. Ect.

Thanks

Steve

I posted the exact same question a couple months ago and never got an answer. I guess with limited numbers not many people have done this!

I will be with my family of 4 and this looks unique to me, I am looking to do something a little different, not just go to a beach

Any input would be welcome! Thanks as always

gtylor, we are referring to the Carnival shore excursion in St. Thomas, called Sailing the Virgins to Buck Island. What details do you suggest we check? I am just interested in hearing from anyone that has taken this excursion

I guess we will just have to bump this everyday until we get a reply. I find it hard to believe that out of the sheer numbers of cruisers that we cant get a reply. I am going to do this next month so I will be able to answer any questions.

Steve

Hi Guys.

My family did this tour about two summers ago..... with Celebrity Cruiseline....out of St Thomas.

There were only a total of 6 passengers...and the Captain, First mate and Snorkeling Instructor. (the SI was the teenage daughter of the First mate)...

From a one minute walk from the cruise ship, we boarded a dingy (isn't that what those inflatable boats are called? )...and were taken to a sail boat. I don't know how to describe how big it was. The Captain owned it and lived in it.

We sailed out to Buck Island...which was (I'm really guessing here)...about 20 minutes away. Wow...what fun. The boat went fast...using its sails....and we had to hang on...tight! It was a beautiful day and the water was a magnificent blue! The sun felt perfect!

When we reached Buck Island...we docked about 30-40 feet from the island.....you cannot go onto the island...because it is a protected bird habitat. We snorkeled and had a great time. My children were 6 and 9 at the time. They provided us all with noodles (you know, the kind you might use in a swimming pool)...and that made it very easy for us to stay afloat and relax...as we snorkeled and saw lots of colorful fish. The children had to wear a lifejacket as per a law, I am sure. Our Snorkeling Instructor would swim way to the bottom....and point to really interesting things...coral and fish, etc.....

They served some sort of a snack on the boat. Cokes...and something else. ....we're going back two years now.

It was a very nice experience and I certainly would recommend it.

Hope this helps you. Sorry you had to wait so long to have your post answered.

Have a good 4th of July!! :cool:

steveaaaa -

We have only been to the Buck Island off of St Croix, sailing on the Diva. http://www.buckisland-diva.com/ I have read there is a separate one off of St Thomas, which I have not been to. We were able to go on the island, which is part of the National Park system. This Buck Island is especially known for it's underwater trail (similar to Trunk Bay on St John). But again, it is probably not the Buck Island you are headed to, as St Croix is about 35 miles away from St Thomas.

Passenger limit depends on size of boat you are on. We chartered a catamaran off of St John and had 19 passengers (could have up to 25), so it probably all depends on what the vessel you are sailing on is licensed to carry. Maybe your cruiseline shore excursions descriptions details that?

Sorry it took a while for anyone to get back to you on this question - if they were like me, they were on vacation celebrating the holidays! :D

These two links might help clarify between the two Buck Islands in the US Virgin Islands...

[/url]

Buck Island National Wildlife Refuge (two miles from St Thomas) http://southeast.fws.gov/BuckIsland/

and

Buck Island Reef National Monument (off of St Croix's north coast) http://www.nationalparks.com/buck_island_reef_national_monument.htm

Yes, there are 2 Buck Islands, one off St. Croix and the St. Thomas Buck Island. Its about 3 miles south of Charlotte Amalie. We did the "Buck Island sail and snorkle" too, and it was by far the best tour of the week. The boats were 40-50' in length. We were also picked up by dinghy and taken aboard the boats. What was best is the fact that it is only 6 passengers max and very informative and personalized. You motor out of the harbor and then shortly after set sail. Wow, what a blast. We had a beautiful sailing day which took about an hour from the time we were aboard. The snorkeling was equally as fun, we saw turtles, stingrays and all the numerous fish and corals. The guide in the water was great. Snacks and drinks, including beer and rum were at your disposal. I would highly recommend this tour to anyone arriving in St. Thomas.

we went on a snorkeling excursion through Royal Caribbean 5 years ago & have cruised every year since. It was one of the best excursions we have every done through the cruiseline! The yacht was about 40' & held 3 couples. The sailing was awesome, snorkeling great, very informative. The captain was the owner of the yacht & his teenage daughter was the first mate & instructor. Still remember the name of the boat - The Jollyman - the excursion was worth every cent! If I remember correctly it was approx $70pp & took only 3 couples

Archived