transpanama canal shore excursions

GAJE

Will be taking the transpanama canal cruise in Jan., 2005 on the Ryndam and am seeking information on several shore excursions: Tropical Forest Aerial Tram in Puntrarenas, Costa Rica; Copalita River Float trip in Santa Cruz Huatulco, Mexico; and the Land and Sea Combination in George Town, Grand Cayman. I sure would appreciate any advice on any of the above!

I went on the ariel tram about 8 tears ago. IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! I was on a land trip and it was one of the most interesting trips I have been on. The tram is about a half mile long. It starts over the froest floor at 25-100 feet. There is a guide in each car to point out items of interest, such as flkora, tundra, wildlife, etc. On the return you rise above the canopy and the view is awsome. The scenery from that vantage point is great. the parisatic plants that grow on top of the canopy is unreal. Also the (brocolli) trees that are about 250 feet tall are awesome. You will learn that under the cables, no one that worked on it ever set foot on the ground. either they laid planks to walk on or came in by air.

Hope this helps. Dick

Nebraska Admiral - We'll be doing the Panama Canal & Costa Rica on the Rotterdam in Dec. Saw your response to Gaje & tried to email you for info, but it was blocked. Would you pls post your recommendations re shore excursions & what to watch out for so we can share in the info? :confused:

Thanx.

Lee

My e mail address is its7734@yahoo.com I went to San Jose about 8 yrs ago to visit a brother who lives there, and sailed on the Amsterdam from Puntrarenas to Miami in 2001. I really didn'e care for the shhoping in Puntrarenas as Shopping in San Jose is superior. Downtown San Jose has an open air market that is at least a city block square. I bought a beautiful hand made hammok and a chair hammock for 17 for the pair. at the port they were over 100 each. When we went on the ariel tram, we went on a tour that lasted about 6 hours from san jose. We stopped and looked down into volcanos that were steaming. what a stink drom the sulfur. When traveling the countryside, pay attenention to the houses. When I was there most did not have doors or windows, but was amazed by how the dirt floors and porches shined. Tne natives are very poor, but proud and polite. Most wore ironed white shirts and jeans. I never saw a patch oor hole in the knee as you are used to up here. Although violent crime (murder robbery, assault etc is rare there, be very careful not to sit anything of value down for a second even at the checkouts. If you turn around it will most llikely be gone. Hqving your pockets pick is very comon as well as stealling from vehicles and busses so if you leave the vehicle be sure to take your valuables with you. I don't mean to scare you just urge you to be careful.( we never had anything stolen, but were careful. I did not do any water activities in Puntrarenas as I found the water to be trashy and muddy. Do the water in the Atlantic. I enjoyed the Panama canal Happy Cruising:) :) :) :) :)

Any futher help contact me

Dick ps Lee thanks for your post on my refund question

Dick -- We are a couple in our 70's -- Slowed down a bit since our 40's, but healthy and active nonetheless. Do you see any reason we could not handle the aerial tram excursion? We will be taking a partial transit for the second time, with the usual stop in Costa Rica. We have been to San Jose, but would really like to take the tram excursion. Will appreciate your advice...or anyone else's who has had experience with this excursion..

Dick -- We are a couple in our 70's -- Slowed down a bit since our 40's, but healthy and active nonetheless. Do you see any reason we could not handle the aerial tram excursion? We will be taking a partial transit for the second time, with the usual stop in Costa Rica. We have been to San Jose, but would really like to take the tram excursion. Will appreciate your advice...or anyone else's who has had experience with this excursion..

As I remember its only a block or 2 from the parking lot to the tram. and while on the tram all you do is sit, listen, and watch Hope you enjoy. I go online at HAL's marinar site and book my ezcursions ahead of time to be sure to get what I want.

Dick

Dick -- Thanks for the reply. Walking is not a problem, but climbing might be. That was my concern. So, I look forward to the tram ride...have heard great things about this excursion. I also book my excursions from my computer. It is wise indeed, and you can always cancel.

Dick:

You have been very generous in your responses to several of us about Costa Rica. Thank you so very much. If anything further comes to mind, please continue to share!!

Betty

Archived