Camp Carnival for 2 and 4 year olds on Miracle

Mel

We are taking our family on a Christmas cruise on the Miracle and will have 2,4,15,17 and 18 year olds with us. We would like to have the late sitting for dinner and wondered what, if anything we can do with the 2 and 4 year olds while we eat. Where can I find out exactly what the Camp Carnival program provides? If we go on a shore excursion can we leave the children behind in the program? What experiences have people had with these age groups? This is the first time we have done this sort of thing (there will be 18 of us in all) and are really looking forward to it but our daughter with the 2 and 4 year olds is a little concerned about evening activities and the dinner problem.

Any help from past cruisers with small children would be appreciated.

We loved Camp Carnival!

Our boys are in that age group as well.

Here is my Liberty Capers I scanned from November, though the camp ones are the same. We did the Miracle last September.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/513455967/1513458270081969008xOnubD

We always do early seating for dinner, cause my kids could not sit thru an 8 pm seating for dinner. We did the 5:30 dining on the Miracle, and they went to camp for the evening and slumber party by 8 pm. Then DH and I were free to do what we wanted til we picked them up. Camp Carnival is on deck 5 forward on the Miracle (Pinnochio's Club).

Thanks for your input. What we thought we could do is take the kids for dinner at the buffet or something early, then take them to Camp Carnival in the evening while we eat at the late sitting - will that work, do you think?

Where can I find out exactly what the Camp Carnival program provides?

Under 2 years of age

http://members.cox.net/wennfred2/Under2

Ages 2 - 5

http://members.cox.net/wennfred3/2-5

Ages 6 - 8

http://members.cox.net/wennfred2/6-8

Ages 9 - 11

http://members.cox.net/wennfred3/9-11

Ages 12 - 14

http://members.cox.net/wennfred4/12-14

These are for the Valor but they pretty much the same program on all ships.

Yes, dinner will work,assuming your youngest like the camp. As you may have noted from the posted capers, the camp is typically open from 7 - 10 pm. After 10 pm there is a $6/hour (I believe) charge.

You will get a phone with which the counselors can alert you if there is a problem. It only works on the ship however.

We were on the Miracle when DD was 3. (She was 25 months on our first cruise). She LOVES the camp!

You may leave the little ones in camp and go ashore. The camp is open continuously on port days from when the ship docks until is sets sail, and they will feed the kids lunch. I would only caution that you either take a ship's excursion or make very sure you are back to the vicinity of where the ship is docked or where the tenders leave from WELL before the last minute. If something unforeseen were to happen, and you would miss the ship or the last tender...well, bad enough to be standing on the pier watching your ship sail away, but how much worse if you children are on the ship! :eek:

We had a great time, and hope you will as well!

Our son turned 4 during our last cruise which was on the Miracle. He loved the Camp Carnival. We had the early dinner but after the third night of him being tired and grumpy in the dining room we let him eat dinner with the kids in the kids club and we were al much happier. We then let him play while we did the shows and stuff till it was time to pick him up at 10. The only problem we ran into was in Belize. We left him in the kids club when we went on a Carnival Excursion. On the way back to the port our tour bus got a flat. They called the boat and held a tender for us as well as the boat but we were late getting back to the ship when the kids club closed for the afternoon. They were paging my name over the loud speaker of the ship every 5 minutes. When I got to the kids club I was repremanded that I was late and if it happened again my son would no longer be allowed to go. I tried to explain that we were on a tour with the ship and I was sorry for the delay but she just did not see to care.

If your teens wont be eating in the dining room you should let your agent know so the seats can be given to other people instead of keeping them empty.

Miracle does not have a "teen" room and the teens would do better with an earlier dining. Their camp is closed from 5-7 so a lot of down time if they did take the later seating.

There will be a meeting the first night and it is VERY important that you get those kids to that meeting.

Your two year old WILL be 2 years old by the time you sail?? they will not make exceptions even if its only a few weeks from their birthday.

The camps do allow you to drop off the kids while you are in port. Hopefully your 2 year old will love this-- But the camps will ask that you pick them up by noon. (camps closed from noon til 2) so be careful when making arrangments in port.

Serene56 makes a very good point: your youngest must be 2 on the day you board. If not, NO camp. Period. Really. On our first cruise, we witnessed parents of an "almost" 2 year old trying to convince the counselors to make an exception. The counselors were adamant, and it was a no go. The parents were very upset, to put it mildly.

I've checked my capers, and on port days, they ask that you pick up your kids for lunch if you are on board.

Wow, dsnygrl! How awful for you. But at least you made it back and thank goodness you were on a ship excursion! Belize is tricky that way. The only ship excursion we've ever taken was on our 2nd visit there.

I also agree that the meeting the first night is key. I know for the little ones, it's a great opportunity to meet the counselors and see the other kids, so there are familiar faces the next morning (the party in the disco is also important IMHO.) I've read that, for the older ones, it's important to meet their peers when all of them are new as they tend to form groups early, and thse not there sort of end up feeling left out.

Hope it all works great! Enjoy your cruise.

Yes, our youngest will be 2 on December 17th, exactly a week before we sail, thank goodness. At the camp in the evening, do they put the kids to bed or are they up until we pick them up at 10 p.m.? Does anyone have any thoughts on which, if any shore excursions are good for any or all of the kids (2, 4, 15, 17, 18 year olds)?

Thanks again for all your input.

Archived