Can someone tell me how to get to Monaco from Cannes

rottawa

I am on the Galaxy Aug 4th. One of the ports is Cannes. I would like to take the train to Monaco but need help on how to do this.

How far to train station , can I walk? How long to Monaco? Once in Monaco can I walk to Palace and Buriel sites? Is this feasible?

If someone can walk me through this I would be grateful.

The ship has a shore excursion that includes Nice and Monaco but it is 9 hours. I am hoping for a shorter day.

Thanks

Can't help you with Cannes, but taking the train is the best way. One in Monaco you want to leave the main entrance with is a number of levels above the train platforms and when you go out there is a #2 bus stop across the street (you can return the same way and get on on the station side.) This bus will eventually take you to any area close to the palace and then winds it's way back to the station....just ask the driver where to get off. Then head away from the port on the narrow streets...there will be signs directing you to the Palace a few blocks away. There is also a "tourist train" across from the Cousteau oceanographic center you might consider for a quick overview of Monaco all this in the hill top area of the Palace,etc. Then just catch the 2 bus (at least I think that was the number..pretty sure... but memory not perfection). You might consider a quick side stop off on way back at Eze La Mer take shullte to Eze up on top and back to station or Ville Franche...quaint little village...casual and slow paced. Have a great trip.

Check out this website - train schedules in France. Click on "Information Schedules and Booking", click on "Timetable", then put in Cannes and Monaco and the date and approximate times you'll be travelling. The schedule will give you all the trips available. Looks to be about an hour one way and around 15 euros return. I don't know where the Galaxy will be docked/tendered so can't help exactly, but from looking at a Cannes map, it doesn't look to be a long walk from the water up to the train station on Place de la Gare.

http://www.sncf.com/indexe.htm

We took the train last summer from Villefranche to Monaco and it was very easy and fun. If you want to see the changing of the guard at the palace get there early. There were so many people and all we saw were the tops of the guards' heads...not too exciting and it was over very quickly. We walked from the train station to the palace via the waterfront (about 15 minutes). If you go this way there will be A LOT of steps to climb up to the castle, so if you feel this might be too difficult, try the bus route Tropic mentions. We bought sandwiches and ate in the park next to the oceanographic centre looking out over the Mediterranean. I agree with Tropic...make the time to stop in at Eze. We actually preferred it over Monaco. Have a great trip!

Lynn

I am on the Galaxy Aug 4th. One of the ports is Cannes. I would like to take the train to Monaco but need help on how to do this.

How far to train station , can I walk? How long to Monaco? Once in Monaco can I walk to Palace and Buriel sites? Is this feasible?

If someone can walk me through this I would be grateful.

The ship has a shore excursion that includes Nice and Monaco but it is 9 hours. I am hoping for a shorter day.

Thanks

The train station in Cannes is a short (10 minutes or so) walk from the main harbor. Trains leave frequently for Nice and Monaco (you pass through Nice on the way). Once in Monaco, you can walk just about everywhere - it's a small place. Just get a map of the city and you won't have any problems. The train takes ~45 minutes to get from Cannes to Monaco.

Enjoy,

Magnus

Archived