Afternoon/Evening in San Juan with Tweens

patsydarling

DH and I are going to be in San Juan RCI NOS 7/29 sailing with two boys, 14 and 13, and two girls, 11 and 10. We're pretty sure they won't enjoy a historical walking tour. Does anyone have any recommendations? We were hoping for something active, but not expensive.

The tweens that we went with did enjoy going up to El Morro and wandering our way back down through Old San Juan, shopping! We did this on our own, and not on a guided tour, so we could stop and do what we wanted when we wanted. All the kids I have seen enjoy exploring the fort.

patsy darling,

What time will your ship be docked?

I am also looking for a tour that 2 fourteen year old boys would enjoy and the only thing I have found so far in SJ is that there is a bioluminesence (SP?) tour that seems cool to young teens and us. What I have found out is that it is only a good tour on nights when there is no moon. You Kaiyak into a bay that is illuminated by little organisms in the water so that if you choose to get in the water, you can make snow angels, and other things because of its glow. It appears there are two bays in SJ that illuminates like this, with only one accessable from the cruise ship docks, and there is still a long drive there.

There is a website, I think, I will try to find and post more about it. I am hoping that someone else passes on other options in case the moon is full when we are there.

Good Luck, and happy cruizing,

and oh, when you get back, please let us know what you choose and wheter or not the kids enjoyed it. I dont go until February, so I am hoping you can provide suggestions for me.

Here is a link to a thread that people are talking about the bio tour. If you read it all the way, you should find out more about the trip, hopefully a webpage. I can't keep searching right now, not even supposed to be on here, but, I'm addicted to these boads ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=114444

Well... my problem is that we are going to be there in the afternoon/evening. We've been to San Juan during the day without the kids and enjoyed El Morro, but I heard El Morro closes early. I guess I should check it out. I also think that the afternoon arrival may eliminate things like the bioluminescence tour. So... if anyone has any good ideas for late afternoon, early evening... let me know. I was already thinking about the ghost tour. Might be funny/interesting and I bet the kids wouldn't find it boring!!!

Well... my problem is that we are going to be there in the afternoon/evening. We've been to San Juan during the day without the kids and enjoyed El Morro, but I heard El Morro closes early. I guess I should check it out. I also think that the afternoon arrival may eliminate things like the bioluminescence tour. So... if anyone has any good ideas for late afternoon, early evening... let me know. I was already thinking about the ghost tour. Might be funny/interesting and I bet the kids wouldn't find it boring!!!

El Morro closes at 5 p.m. We had an afternoon arrival, took a cab up there and it was closed. We still walked around it, looked into the cemetary, and then wandered our way back down through OSJ.

Hopefully someone will give you some other ideas.

Biobay tour is not in San Juan but a long drive out toward Fajardo..... and San Juan IS limited in things to do with the times some ships come in (ie afternoon and evening).

But with girls I think they would enjoy walking/shopping (of course the shopping part more than the walking part).

If you can get off quickly and take a taxi to El Morro and take a short look-see then walk back to ship stopping at some interesting sights and STORES..... along with an authentic dinner you should be ok.

For some ideas on what to look at pick up Frommers "Caribbean Ports of Call" at your local bookstore. Lots of info on all the ports in the Caribbean and a great section on San Juan.

I know most teens are not impressed with the history and charm of a place but they will remember it later on. Save the jet ski and other tours for the other islands you will be visiting. I know my two kids look back and remember and talk about neat places we went.

Archived