Car rental vs Cabs/Public Transportation

We are sailing on the Diamond Princess on 9/30/06. We have decided to go out to the Coast three days early (precruise) to take in some of the sights, like a mini-vacation before the cruise. We are staying one night in San Pedro (long story), and two nites in Long Beach. We would like some suggestions as to whether or not to rent a car for three days and then drop it off in San Pedro the morning of departure, or should we us public/cab transportation? I know the cost will depends on how much we are going to travel, but will the difference be huge? Is there any free/cheap shuttles? Is there any car rental companies that allow you to pickup a car at LAX and drop it off in San Pedro?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Joe:D

Joe, the LA/San Pedro/Long Beach area is a bear to get around in using public transportation...and cabs are really expensive and hard to come by. I'd definitely rent a car if I were you. I don't know if there is a rental car dropoff at the port but I bet there is.

DavisP - We will probably rent a car, it is probably the most economical way to go. I read somewhere that Enterprise will let you drop the car off in San Pedro, I will call them and find out. Thank you for your input.:)

• 4 weeks later...

I grew up in the area- we still fly mainly from LAX.

If you can't get a rental car to work for you, perhaps try one of the shuttle services from LAX.

Also... This is LAX's website:

http://www.lawa.org/lax/welcomeLAX.cfm

click under "ground transportation".

I'd also recommend a really good map and to allow yourself plenty of time.

Archived