land tours and ports of call

cruise junky joan

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]I should start by saying we are in our 50s and not into fitness type tours!! I vacation to relax....So for that genre...[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]I really loved the Taku Glacier Lodge Flight and Feast from Juneau!!! We had a 20 min floatplane ride from Juneau to the beautiful lodge across from a magnificient glacier. We had a wonderful meal and the chance to walk on trails with only 30-40 other people in the area. (and that's not many compared to other excursions!!) A low-key, but most enjoyable excursion with great views, and lovely surroundings. My DH says its the best salmon he's ever had...I say its a great way to spend an afternoon in Juneau...[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#000080]One excursion I thought was not worth the effort was the "Best of Skagway" tour. Just do the White Pass & Yukon RR. The Liarsville tour and Red Onion Saloon tour weren't worth the time. Find another way to fill the rest of the day, but the WP & Y RR was great!! Remember left side of the train if you go up, and right side if you are going down...Breathtaking...and we were there on a cloudy rainy day...[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#000080]In Sitka we did "Captains Choice Wildlife Quest and Beach Walk." We had close encounters with 3 humpback whales which was pretty cool. Then some birdwatching and about 30-45 minutes on a small island where we saw some pretty neat stuff. A naturalist was onboard so it was a pretty informative and well planned tour.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#000080]In Ketchikan we did "George Inlet Lodge Wilderness Crabbing Adventure." It is sort of misnamed, because you don't really do any crabbing and it was really not adventurous, but you do get to ride out to a pretty cove in a nice boat and they pull up some crab pots and you get to learn some things about crabs and their life cycles. Then you go back to the lodge and eat a great crab dinner. It was nice, but not what I really expected. Oh, I guess the adventure part might have been the 79 steps that you descend to get to the lodge and climb to get back on the tour bus. :p (They did have a shuttle for those who didn't want to use the stairs.) It was an OK excursion, just slightly misnamed. [/COLOR][/FONT]

Thanks for the response. We are in our (shudder) late 40's with two teen agers on our trip. I am concerned that the kids are going to be bored to death with a two week scenic tour so I am canvasing the boards looking for reviews from people who have been on the tours offered or scheduled their own. Thanks again Joan

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]I heard the teens and adventerous adults really like the Zipline tours....There is one in Juneau and one in Ketchikan, I know I have read about them on other threads and they sound like fun !!! Maybe next time...[/COLOR][/FONT]

Archived