Unpacking from 7/8/06 on Norwegian Dawn-took too much stuff!

Katya4

:( This face is for my sadness now that I am back in my home and the cruise has come to an end. We were with a party of 10 and several of us went for dinner tonight because we were going through withdrawel. Having said that....This cruise was WONDERFUL!!!!:) :) :)

We sailed 7/8/06-7/15/06 in rooms 11130/11132 & 11116 (handicap room)

First

Some things about items I was advised to take on this website, did take and did not need: Bungie cords, duct tape, clorox wipes for surfaces, water shoes (most beaches were powder sand except private island which had a few rocks), big mug for water-(took up space in my suit case is all), pocket book; highlighter (freestyle daily easy to read without highlighting it), postets, own soap, too many shoes, cash (used very little in tips because what we signed gave you the option to add tip) & Traveler's checks, power strips-NEVER USED.

What we did use was: night light, dollar store shoe tree for toiletry items, Water (took 12 small bottles each in our carry-on-left two bottles behind), snacks such as pretzels & candy-we ate them in the cabin (not necessary but helpful), laundry bag (we put it inside the carry-on we brought the water bottles in and as we filled it up it was packed and ready to come home), water bottle-to spray for hair doooos and for cooling off while sunning near the congested pool area (a whole other story).

What we could have used: itty bitty night light for reading at night so you don't disturb your cabin mates, our own snorkel equipment-to save $30.00, small blow up floats for beaches (again, not required but would have been nice), cell phone for notifying our limo driver we had arrived in NY since there was no place to stop once you leave the pier-you are right on the busy street. Thankfully someone we know brought one. Alarm clock would have been nice since we never knew what time it was and finally found out that if we wanted wake up call to order room service deliver coffee at a particular time-they always call first...our wake up function did not work on our phone nor any of the three rooms we were in. We simply could not figure out how it worked and only managed to program wake ups at midnight and two in the morning-go figure.

What we did not use but glad we had it: Medical kit-band-aids, assorted creams & ointments, eye drops ect...extra sun screen, extra underwear, zip lock bags (could have lived without them but they came in handy a few times.

I will post this and work on my review-need to up load photos as well-stay tuned.

Great tips and I agree - I always take way too many "thingies" along with us and just wind up bringing them home unused.

We do take binoculars along and always make use of them as we pull into/away from each port. DH laughs when I pack a small travel umbrella but on our last cruise (HAL) he was glad I had it since when we arrived in port it was pouring rain...........lucky for us, within 30 minutes of leaving the ship the sun came out:D

i agree many of the recommended items aren't really necessary. It is like when we used to go to camp during the summer (a million years ago) the suggested list was usually way to long.

I am sure many readers will appreciate your remarks.

As for the phone, we have figured them out, but I know it took us forever and who wants it set for a wake up call at 2am when you really wanted 8:30am? NMnita

It just goes to show that everyones needs are different

Form your list of never used things I always use:

power strip - used every day

cash - especially $1 & $5 - cash is king with the crew and in port.

duct tape - not used on every cruise but when needed "priceless" Including the time the zipper blew out on one bag :eek:

soap - I hate that shower gel never feel clean.

From your did use and my never used list.

night light - used closet light or bath light

dollar store shoe tree

water bottle-to spray for hair doooos - not enough hair:D

It just goes to show that everyones needs are different

Form your list of never used things I always use:

power strip - used every day

cash - especially $1 & $5 - cash is king with the crew and in port.

duct tape - not used on every cruise but when needed "priceless" Including the time the zipper blew out on one bag :eek:

soap - I hate that shower gel never feel clean.

From your did use and my never used list.

night light - used closet light or bath light

dollar store shoe tree

water bottle-to spray for hair doooos - not enough hair:D

Shoreguy, not enough hair; that's a pretty good one: We too use the bathroom light ane keep the door closed: The $1 and $5 always come in handy: I have never seen the need for the shoe tree; always plenty of room for everything we need: We don't use a power strip, we get along just fine with the outlets in the cabins. You are right, it's like cruise ships themselves and the never ending comparison on food, everyone sees things in a different light. NMNita

I have a little kit in a large zip lock bag that I keep packed at all times. It contains things like cold medicine, tums, halls, Band-Aids, rubber bands, paper clips, safety pins, tweezers, and all sorts of what if things. there are only a few of each thing in there. Just enough for an emergency or enough till we can get to a store to get more of what we need. I have never been on a trip that I didn't use several things from that little kit. It doesn't take up much space but worth its weight in gold.

Archived