Transportation question Vancouver/Victoria

We will be staying in Victoria a few days then 1 night in Vancouver before our cruise. After some research I think we will take the Pacific Coach from the airport in Vancouver to Victoria then rent a car for our days in Victoria. Do you think this is the best way to do this? I noticed there is a bus depot behind the Empress, but I'm not sure where that is in relation to the car rental place. It's very confusing to figure out how to plan this.

Also, what would you suggest we do on the return? After we drop our car off in Victoria should we again take Pacific Coach back to Vancouver? Is this the best thing to do? Any suggestions? Will we be returned to a bus depot downtown Vancouver where we can just take a cab to our hotel (the Sutton)? I've research this and because I'm not familiar with the locations of things, it's hard to picture.

A plane to Victoria is not an option ...hate flying...wish I didn't have to in order to get to Vancouver but I do.

I would appreciate any advice and would especially love to hear from someone who has done this.

Thanks.

sasha'smom

You are probably best to do the Pacific Coach both ways. It is not expensive

and you will enjoy the ferry trip twice. Most car rentals are in the downtown

area and will probably pick you up if you make advance arrangements or if

you call when you arrive. National and Budget are actually just across the

street from the bus terminal in Victoria. The other option is to keep the car

and drive to Vancouver, dropping it off there. Not sure what the cost is but,

depending on how many of you there are, it might not work out to a lot more.

The bus terminal in Vancouver is a fairly short taxi ride to your hotel.

Enjoy your visit.

I travel this route often - once or twice a month. I just checked out the fare for the PCL bus, and almost fell out of my chair! By the time you pay for the bus/ferry tix for two (or more?) people, the marginal cost of renting the car in Vancouver and driving both ways is nothing. It might even be cheaper. If you choose this option, I suggest you make reservations for the ferry - it's busy at this time of year. It is easy to get from the airport to the ferry terminal - about a 25 minute drive, maybe 35-45 in the pm rush hour.

See www.bcferries.com.

The bus depot in Victoria is quite central, and there will be at least one car rental place at the Empress, with all the other majors close by.

Hope it works out.

I just did a quick costing, using National rates for the car in either vvancouver

or Victoria. It all depends on how many people are travelling. If it is only 2,

then the cost is almost equal. Car to/from Vancouvr more than to/from Victoria.

Coach to/from Vancouver more than the cost for the car on the ferry,

including the reservation fee to be assured of loading on the ferry time you

want. ALso, this requires a taxi to the cruise ship terminal.

If there are more than 2, then the car to/from Vancouver definitely is the less expensive way to go and gives you a bit more flexibility.

There is a car rental agency across the street from the Bus Station in Victoria. Last year when I rented a vehicle for visiting family I asked for used cars and they got a brand new car for the discounted rental price.

I think it would be like less hassle to rent a car at the airport, drive to Tsawassen and take the ferry to Swartz Bay, then hang onto your car until after you return to Vancouver - dropping off the rental car in the downtown area. I know that Hertz has locations at the Westin Bayshore and the Renaissance Harborside (close to Canada Place). A Vancouver airport pick-up and downtown drop-off will cost less than a Victoria pick-up/Vancouver drop-off.

Archived