Grand Princess going to Grand Cayman instead of Roatan?

spongerob

I just checked the Cayman Islands cruise ship schedule (website) and saw that Grand Princess is scheduled to call at Grand Cayman. The itinerary lists Roatan as a port of call, not Grand Cayman, which was dropped last year following a series of complaints about tendering.

I also recall that Princess had a dispute with GC authorities over port charges, which has since been resolved. So, I'm wondering, are we going to Grand Cayman instead of Roatan when Grand Princess returns to Galveston, and if so, WHEN DID PRINCESS PLAN TO TELL ANYONE ABOUT THIS? :mad:

This is not good news. :mad: My husband cruises for ports only & the published schedule which included Roatan is one of the main reasons I could get him back to the Caribbean. Now the question is "do I tell him there might be a change or let it be a surprise"? :rolleyes:

That's what I'm wondering, too, Jim. We'd get one more sea day (nothing wrong with that) but would likely miss Belize also, or get a very abbreviated stop there.

I guess there's a bright side, I'm looking for a new digital camera and Grand Cayman would be a good place to get one - if I want to brave the tendering that is.

Spongerob you are so right!

Tendering in Grand Cayman was a nightmare!

I hope Princess and Grand Cayman have made up and I also hope Princess does not mess with the near perfect itinerary out of Galveston!!!

If Princess changes the Grand's itinerary and GC in, I will probably cancel my cruise. We picked the Grand because of the itinerary and have no reason to fly to Texas only to go to GC and a shortened stay in Belize. I will be very sad!!

I just checked the Cruise Calendar and it shows the Grand Princess in Roatan for the entire Western Caribbean sailings for the season. Let's hope that there is just a mix-up on the Grand Cayman site or otherwise there are going to be a lot of unhappy passengers!

Hi Stacy! I am just more than a little nervous, cuz that Grand Cayman calendar shows the Grand going to GC AFTER Europe and the dry dock. How did they get the dates so accurate if it's a mistake?

Hey Linda! Just posted this on our Roll Call too....

Everyone....did you see that the Grand Cayman site lists the Grand Princess in on Wednesdays, the day that it's due to be in Belize (NOT Roatan!)

Cruisecal as well as the Princess site still shows both Roatan and Belize on the schedule though.

My thought, if the change is made, it will drop Belize and not Roatan.

Sounds like many of us have booked due to Roatan being on the schedule so hopefully that wouldn't be a bad change for people.

I hope, too, that the Grand Cayman website has incorrect ship info posted. This started because someone posted a question last night concerning the lack of listed shore excursions for Roatan. I could be doing nothing more than starting much ado about nothing. For those who have an interest, though, I think this bears watching.

I never advocate booking a cruise just for the ports...but I did look forward to visiting Roatan. If an itinerary change is planned, I hope that Princess would be good enough to inform us ahead of time.

I hope, too, that the Grand Cayman website has incorrect ship info posted. This started because someone posted a question last night concerning the lack of listed shore excursions for Roatan. I could be doing nothing more than starting much ado about nothing. For those who have an interest, though, I think this bears watching.

I never advocate booking a cruise just for the ports...but I did look forward to visiting Roatan. If an itinerary change is planned, I hope that Princess would be good enough to inform us ahead of time.

I posted the question about lack of shore excursions for Roatan on another thread and was pointed to the Grand Cayman Port Authority schedule which does show the Grand visiting there on Wednesdays. While this is all speculation at this point, it wouldn't surprise me if Princess is changing the itinerary but not updating their website. Didn't they do the same thing last year when they pulled out of GC and the booked passengers were the last to know? Many people, including myself, do book for the ports and it would be nice to know the itinerary before deciding on which Xmas cruise I want to book. I would love to visit Roatan and Belize.

for my cruise (starting Nov. 25th) we were originally sheduled to be in Roatan on the 28th. The website posted above has the ship in Grand Cayman on the 29th. So maybe there's another port being dropped in favor of Grand Cayman and not Roatan?

During the last season out of Galveston, Grand Princess went to Grand Cayman and arrived there around noon. There was terrible congestion at the tender pier on shore, so there were huge delays getting ashore. People were furious about having tours cut short, missed, or cancelled entirely because of the problems. Those who got ashore sometimes found that they had only a couple hours to do anything.

The ship developed an engine problem and it was not possible to go to Grand Cayman. Instead, Princess devised a new itinerary that included Playa del Carmen instead of Grand Cayman. The change was made early in January if I recall, just a couple weeks before we cruised. The response to the change was very positive so Princess left the new itinerary in place even after the engine repairs were made.

The difference between these two cases is that if a change back to Grand Cayman is anticipated, it is being planned well in advance but passengers are being kept in the dark. That's a big "if" mind you, and assumes that the info posted on the Cayman web site is accurate. The first case is an understandable change plus we got OBC's for our inconvenience :D. If plans are being made to go back, it's bit underhanded not to inform passengers prior to final payments.

My Spring Break 2007 itinerary is showing Cozumel on Wed' date=' March 14.

This is the date that Cayman is showing the Grand to be scheduled.

I would be okay with switching with Cozumel....

but, not Roatan.[/quote']

I just went to the princess website and they aren't showing a sailing that leaves on March 10....are you on a special cruise?

I just went to the princess website and they aren't showing a sailing that leaves on March 10....are you on a special cruise?

It is there.

I was just there...and didn't see it at first.

For some reason, you have to scroll down. ...to a separate listing.

Archived