Grand Princess going to Grand Cayman instead of Roatan?

spongerob

I checked my Grand sailing Nov 25th on the Princess web site & it is still the one we booked. I called Princess and the nice lady told me they will hit GC and then it will switch to Roatan & then back to GC. She said my sailing Nov 25th is scheduled for Roatan & Belize. :)

Thanks to those of you trying to shed some light on this. Personally this won't be a deal-breaker if we do in fact go to GC. We're sailing so that our in-laws can finally go with us, and of course to meet up with old and new friends on our roll call. I guess with all the attention on Crown Princess, as it should be, it might be a while before we get any answers. Today I feel almost stupid being upset about this, in comparison to what others are going through.

I checked my Grand sailing Nov 25th on the Princess web site & it is still the one we booked. I called Princess and the nice lady told me they will hit GC and then it will switch to Roatan & then back to GC. She said my sailing Nov 25th is scheduled for Roatan & Belize. :)

Well, that means that the Dec 16th cruise will be GC. That is a deal breaker. That is why we picked the cruise. I would rather them drop almost any of them instead of Roatan. It sounds like Princess is notorious for this as well. I am going to call and make sure though. Thanks to you guys for the info. I don't know what I would have done had I not heard about it this early(went on vacation mad, needing a second) Thanks!!!

HI all! I wanted to let you know that I heard back from the Cayman Port Authority.

Here's what they said....

"Thanks for your email. What we have scheduled is what Princess Cruise lines asked us to confirm for them. I appreciate the information that you have provided and I will communicate with them to determine their true schedule for Grand Princess. Your correspondence will of course remain confidential and I will advise you when I have heard from them."

I will let you know when I hear anymore.

Well, I got off the phone for the 2nd time with Princess. I like to call twice, that way I don't just take someone's word for it- She said that the itinerary is not carved in stone and can change at any time, but still show mine as Roatan. The 2nd girl I talked to said that if they change, they have to tell us at least 30 days prior to sailing unless there is something wrong I guess (ie hurricane, natural disaster). I have made my mind up to be happy. If I am not going to Roatan, It won't ruin my vaca- I will still have a smile on my face, forced or not!!!;)

HI all! I wanted to let you know that I heard back from the Cayman Port Authority.

Here's what they said....

"Thanks for your email. What we have scheduled is what Princess Cruise lines asked us to confirm for them. I appreciate the information that you have provided and I will communicate with them to determine their true schedule for Grand Princess. Your correspondence will of course remain confidential and I will advise you when I have heard from them."

I will let you know when I hear anymore.

Thanks!

From what I understood she met more like "seasons". Like last year it went to GC and this year it isn't & next year it will.

I got an email from my TA and this is what she said:

Hi Wendy,

I spoke to a Princess representative this morning and they know nothing about dropping Roatan and Belize. This is the usual itinerary for this ship.

Laura

frequent lurker, very infrequent poster here. dh and i are also scheduled for the nov 25th sailing, and have no interest whatsoever in grand cayman. hope they princess does keep us posted about potential changes, with ample time for us to make changes of our own!

as a side note, with apologies for hijacking the thread--is there anyone else here who's nervous about the sailing due to what happened with the crown? my first thought (after 'gosh, i hope everyone's okay') was 'gee, i wonder if we should cancel' and my second was 'maybe if everyone else cancels, our guarantee balcony will morph into a mini suite ;)

Hello! Head over to the "roll call" section. The subject header actually says 11/26/05 on the Grand Princess Section, but there's already been about 30 pages of chatter about the trip. Including the question you just asked....I won't tell you the answers so you go and read there!

:D

Hi since we are on the 12/23 sailing I checked with all the online sites - Continental, American Express, etc and they all have Roatan and Belize as stops. This must have been a mistake by GC. Is Roatan great for diving? :confused: DH and son specifically wanted to dive there.

dcl1710 - Yes this is a fabulous place to scuba dive. We are doing this ourselves. We missed Roatan and Belize last year on a cruise because of a hurricane and would probably cancel this cruise if Princess drops Roatan. We've been to Grand Cayman and it is fun to dive with the Stingrays - but the tendering and traffic are not fun. On the Cayman website it shows 7 or 8 ships in, on the "supposed" day the Grand would be there - yikes!

Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya (Mahajual) are great places to dive as well. Your husband and son will love this cruise.

Hi since we are on the 12/23 sailing I checked with all the online sites - Continental, American Express, etc and they all have Roatan and Belize as stops. This must have been a mistake by GC. Is Roatan great for diving? :confused: DH and son specifically wanted to dive there.

I just started a roll call for the 12/23 sailing. I am a diver and heard Roatan has some beautiful reefs.

Good morning Karen2Cruz - DH and son did the stingrays on GC last year and enjoyed it but wanted to do a longer dive in Roatan this year. Hopefully the confusion will end soon and Princess will put out a press release. Of course the Crown Princess incident is more important!

The customer service reps that answer the phones at Princess do not always have the latest information about itinerary changes. The port authority at Grand Cayman is saying they got their information from Princess directly. I think there is still a good chance that they may be going to substitute ports, and they are under no obligation to inform us of that change yet.

Don't get me wrong, I don't WANT them to do this, I like the itinerary as it is. But I am just saying that from reading these boards, it wouldn't surprise me at all that this is the first inkling of a change in itinerary. It usually takes some time before everyone is on the same page....including changing the websites and letting the phone reps know.

I really hope I'm wrong!

Unfortunately, I agree with Linda. I have a friend that works for Princess and basically when you call them, they have access to the same web info that you and I can get to. The fact that the Grand Princess is listed on the Port Authority's schedule is a strong indication of what lies ahead. All we can do is wait, and speculate,....

the only reason we haven't sailed Princess out of Galveston is due to ports (do not want to go to GC again) and will be very upset if there is a change. In fact we had a different cruise booked for 3/25/07 and cancelled to book Princess due to the great port schedule. We don't sail until 4/07 so have time and will be checking it out prior to final payment. I know they can change them at any time but it will sour us on Princess. We cruise twice a year and have been 13 cruises and really looking forward to our first on Princess. Keeping my fingers crossed for either no change or if they do change they inform us prior to final payment so I can cancel.

Having kept the cruise books and 2006 Cruise Altas, I checked and the Grand Princess cruises have consistently said Roatan, with no, repeat no mention of Grand Cayman.

Our last visit to Grand Cayman was thoroughly enjoyable and I would repeat the snorkling excursion we took again if we go there in the future.

Hopefully the itinerary will remain as it is and I can experience Roatan for the first time.

Archived