Grand Princess going to Grand Cayman instead of Roatan?

spongerob

Our TA contacted their Princess Rep. Port is Roatan. Went through Cruisecal.com. Port is Roatan, does not show Grand Cayman.

Crossing our fingers, we are thinking about cancelling if they drop Roatan.

Hope they are smart enough to remember their GC nightmares from last season.

NCL lurker here. I have no idea if this has any bearing on Princess, but NCL has dropped Roatan from the majority of their itineraries next year. RCCL has acquired the pier at Roatan, and I think the NCL decision must stem from that.

I have no idea what the issue is. It's possible that the port charges have increased dramatically, or that the other lines are concerned because they will no longer be able to dock if an RCCL ship is in port that day.

Hopefully you will all get to Roatan. It's a beautiful place -- we've been twice -- and for those of you who dive or snorkel, I understand its great.

I received word back from the Grand Cayman Port Authority again. Here's what they had to say....

Princess Cruises have now requested cancellation of Grand Princess calls to Grand Cayman for the 2006-2007 season. The calls will now be removed from our database and our website by Friday. Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable cruise.

I received word back from the Grand Cayman Port Authority again. Here's what they had to say....

Princess Cruises have now requested cancellation of Grand Princess calls to Grand Cayman for the 2006-2007 season. The calls will now be removed from our database and our website by Friday. Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable cruise.

Awesome news! Wonder how many more scares we will have regarding the itinerary before we sail! :D

Thanks so much luckyking for tracking down the good news that Grand Cayman doesn't show the Grand coming her way.

And ute fan, thanks for the interesting tidbit about RCI's involvement with the Roatan port. I hunted for more info via Google search and came up with an interview of the Minister of Tourism for Honduras containing the following relevant excerpt:

Verbatim from http://www.marrder.com/htw/travel.htm

"The Port Authority is no longer going to collect the dock fees from cruise ships. They will now be collected by the Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. Why did this make sense for the Bay Islands? Royal Caribbean is going to invest five million dollars on the first phase of the dock transformation and on a shopping center. I am trying to convince them to build a convention center as well. In exchange, we are giving them the normal incentives.

"But once we surpass the 350,000 passenger goal, and we are up to 285,000 in 2005, they are committed to build a second pier for 17 million dollars. What is not so obvious about having a prestigious cruise line calling Roatan their home is, if we are hit by a hurricane, other cruise lines will leave and not return for awhile. That will not happen with Royal Caribbean which considers us their home. They will do everything in their power to put everything back in good working order as soon as possible. They will continue to bring business long after the storms are gone."

Thanks again luckyking. I wasn't worried.;)

Rob-I read about the RCL purchase of the Roatan dock on Roatan Today. They plan on improvements, but won't begin until late next year. It really needs some updating.

Hello everyone,

My husband and I went to Roatan in 1999 on NCL. It is great for snorkeling and diving. NCL had only one ship going there at the time. They were the first cruiseline to frequent the island. It was uncrowded and undelveoped then. I hope RCCL will not turn it into another tourist trap. Some upgrades maybe, but that's it. This island has some great wide tropical tree covered beaches!

What good news. Now I am anxious for Princess to list shore excursions for Roatan, so I can decide what to do. Anybody else doing the Christmas Cruise? The roll call I started is a dead thread so far. Make sure those of you traveling before me tell me how Roatan is. Happy Cruising.

Anyone going to Roatan must try the Canopy Tour. We did it last year and are returning on the Grand Princess in Nov.

Which Canopy Tour did you do? The one through the ship or ?? We're looking into it for December. Thanks!

As we are scheduled for a January 2007 cruise on the Grande, I asked my travel agent to investigate. She replied "that is 'plan B' if there happens to be any 'unrest' in the country etc...all ships have a plan 'B'...that is the word from Princess operations"

In the 1950's there was a really, really bad sci-fi movie called:

Plan B from Planet X"

I just don't want Princess to turn into Planet X

maybe "plan 9 from outer space" a great cult movie by Ed Woods.

99m.jpg

But I get your point

I just checked the Cayman Islands Port Authority website and the Grand Princess is still listed as calling on Wednesdays. GP should be in Belize on that day. I checked January 2007.

The statement by the port authority that it would be removed by Friday was only made yesterday so I would assume they meant next Friday.

Mike

How do I find the thread for this roll call? What is the name of it? I have rough time navigating these boards sometimes. My husband and 5 friends of ours will be on the Christmas sailing and I've been looking for posts regarding that sailing. Can't wait!

Sorry, I meant to include the message from CruisinCoach in my last post.

CruisinCoach message: What good news. Now I am anxious for Princess to list shore excursions for Roatan, so I can decide what to do. Anybody else doing the Christmas Cruise? The roll call I started is a dead thread so far. Make sure those of you traveling before me tell me how Roatan is. Happy Cruising.

Archived